What's new

Help identify #2

Seth Harville

Greenie
Joined
Nov 9, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
London Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found this in the creek. London ky. Some type of fossil I’m hoping?
 

Attachments

  • 01D4823B-C02F-4149-A2CC-4FC686AC3447.webp
    01D4823B-C02F-4149-A2CC-4FC686AC3447.webp
    319.8 KB · Views: 62
  • AA459299-D790-4F95-B36F-D63938DE4B44.webp
    AA459299-D790-4F95-B36F-D63938DE4B44.webp
    257.4 KB · Views: 55
  • CC9EBCA8-CE31-4C30-A3F3-74A8792C2D66.webp
    CC9EBCA8-CE31-4C30-A3F3-74A8792C2D66.webp
    287.8 KB · Views: 48
  • D9F6F066-FD4C-4F55-AEF3-27FF1BDF4C08.webp
    D9F6F066-FD4C-4F55-AEF3-27FF1BDF4C08.webp
    372.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DEA8D175-AD82-4F50-AFBD-200E6C909CD6.webp
    DEA8D175-AD82-4F50-AFBD-200E6C909CD6.webp
    345 KB · Views: 49
Your second photo shows enough of the fossil's characteristics for me to say it is a Rugosa (Tetracorallia) fossil. I recognize it because I found very nice specimens when I was a spelunker (cave-explorer) 50 years ago. Some of my finds were broken open, like yours on one side, showing the distinctive semi-parallel ridges of a Tetracorallia coral's interior.
From the Wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugosa
The Rugosa, also called the Tetracorallia, are an extinct order of solitary and colonial corals that were abundant in Middle Ordovician to Late Permian seas.[SUP][2][/SUP]
 
Upvote 0
That’s awesome I love finding fossils they are so interesting & cool. I really appreciate your help TheCannonballGuy! Thanks a lot!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom