Help Identify King Figure

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I don't have a relic here per se but rather an image of one. I found this in a goodwill a month or so ago. It's a framed frottage (rubbing) on paper of what appears to be a crowned figure...presumably a king or prince of some sort. I traced the image best I could using tracing paper to get a clearer image. It's really faint so not easy to render. The image resembles that of an Assyrian/Akkadian king or other of that time and realm of history...ie; Ashurbanipal, Gilgamesh, Sennacherib, Sargon etc. On the verso there's a crudely stamped Arabic inscription. I do not know if there's any association between the stamp and the figure on paper but if a translation could be made that could possibly hold relative information.

So, it appears the image on stone was important to someone, enough to warrant making an impression of it. Maybe a researcher, a tourist or curio shop owner? Were these common or sold as novelties? One may never know. Maybe it was a figure of religious significance, and someone wanted a memento during a pilgrimage? Hard to say. All I do know is that it ended up in a goodwill in the Midwest.

I also think it's possible that this figure on whatever wall or monument might not be there anymore. It could have been looted or defaced during some conflict or conquest. The frame and paper look quite vintage to me, so, who knows. I just want to know who the figure is and what it was on and where.

If anyone can suggest an Assyriologist that'd be great. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20221222_171743.jpg
    20221222_171743.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221223_221444.jpg
    20221223_221444.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I'm told the writing here is Pakistani Arabic. But the reader could only identify it and had no idea what it said. Apparently, different countries use variations of the Arabic writing system and pronunciation, so much like English, French, German, Spanish etc., use the same letters...though you might be able to read it phonetically you wouldn't understand it...or rather my source couldn't. I didn't realize Arabic was used in this way...I should have figured but I thought it was more concretely universal...if that makes sense. I knew it was used in numerous countries among other language systems but not so individualized.

I used the Google Lens's 'translate' app and was able to glean an idea of what it might say. I'm not going to write it out here but basically the inscription is the stamp of a 'frame and glass workshop' on 'Shahpur St.' . . . or something to that effect. However, nothing of those terms the app suggested has yielded anything definitive online yet. I'll keep looking but maybe I'll concentrate my efforts on Pakistan now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread