What's new

help identify please.

Red Earth

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2013
Messages
399
Reaction score
328
Golden Thread
0
Found in Illinois on a sand bar
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20140506_150318.webp
    ForumRunner_20140506_150318.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 131
  • ForumRunner_20140506_150325.webp
    ForumRunner_20140506_150325.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 134
  • ForumRunner_20140506_150336.webp
    ForumRunner_20140506_150336.webp
    34 KB · Views: 134
  • ForumRunner_20140506_150345.webp
    ForumRunner_20140506_150345.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 129
  • ForumRunner_20140506_150356.webp
    ForumRunner_20140506_150356.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 131
It vaguely resembles this type of hard shelled but that are commonly found in the river. Does it make a "clink" noise when you tap it with a spoon?
 
If I found that here in FL. I would think it was a piece of fossil coral
 
what GatorBoy said. Google images of "horn coral fossil" and see if that's close.
Tigger
 
Yes. You guys are right. Is it pretty uncommon to find something like that in illinois?
 
Thank you. Strange find in Illinois
 
It does look like a horn corral fossil. Pretty cool to find something you only thought was in the ocean. We have found them in lake Michigan and Lake Superior. Did you find it around Lake Michigan? There are horn coral fossils to be found in the Great Lakes Region.
 
Nope. Brush creek outside of Galesburg Illinois
 
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all that it's horn coral. Seems there was water nearly everywhere at one point or another. Yak
 
I found some in Kentucky...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom