Help Identifying a Rock

Jahubbs

Apr 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*To preface, I originally posted this in "What is it" and one of the nice people who replied said that I may have more luck if I also posted in here!

So, I was looking through old family items since I had nothing else to do at home and I just wanted help in trying to identify a rock. For context, I am from a mining town and my great grandfather as well as other members of my family worked in the mines. During their lunch breaks, they could search for rocks or minerals that interested them, which is why my great grandfather chose this rock. If anyone knows what it could be, please let me know since I have never seen anything like it before. On the original post, I got some comments saying that it may be like granite with quartz in the middle, but I still wanted to see what you guys thought! Thanks because your guess is as good as mine!

IMG_7306.jpg

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be a granite (though I cant see any quartz) with a vein (stripe in the middle) of potassium feldspar, either orthoclase or microcline. If there is no quartz could be a syenite. I can see why he picked it, its an eye catcher.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Try scratching the white, pink mass with a steel knife. Try next to scratch the black minerals with your fingernail. Try next to scratch with the black mineral the unglazed porcelain surface of a typical plate or a bathroom tile. What color mark does it leave?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread