HELP IDENTIFYING THESE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARTIFACT 3.jpg
HAMMERSTONE1C.jpg
thumbnail.jpg
20221208_164702 (1).jpg
COLLECTION.jpg
LLLLLLLLLLLLLL.jpg
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.jpg
JJJJJJJJJJ.jpg
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII.jpg
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.jpg
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.jpg

Attachments

• ARTIFACT D1.jpg
    ARTIFACT D1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.jpg
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pencil is manmade. The rest are just rocks.
What do you see that made these rocks worth investigatin
i figured the pencil was man made, i wanted to double check. there are markings and worn areas where my hand is, i found them in an area that was once inhabited by native americans

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maaaaaaaaaaybe the one on the pencil, I can see how some could look like removals, but if they are they’ve been heavily mineralized and I don’t see enough or any real purpose. Also not really sure any of the material is correct for stone tools

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, everything in the pictures is natural rocks, also don't get caught up in how a rock fits your hand either, it will always mislead you.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The main thing to consider is quality. Many folk think artifacts should look like Fred Flintstone made them when in reality NA folk were highly skilled in producing quality tools.

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I'm holding is a tool. There are worn areas where the thumb and index finger sits. I found it under a toppled tree in the area where native americans lived. The area in which it was located is untouched. I had it authenticated by the local historical society. Hard to tell from pictures but all of the rocks were in the same spot within the area of past archeological excavations

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I'm holding is a tool. There are worn areas where the thumb and index finger sits. I found it under a toppled tree in the area where native americans lived. The area in which it was located is untouched. I had it authenticated by the local historical society. Hard to tell from pictures but all of the rocks were in the same spot within the area of past archeological excavations
As I said earlier, don't get caught up with how a rock fits your hand, it will mislead you every time.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no one ever bothered with finger and thumb grooves.... it is not done that way. It's like this... if someone took that time to work those grooves, they would also have taken the time to finish the whole piece. Your historical society is most likely run by local volunteers with little or no formal training. If the folk here say "no" you can take it to the bank.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no one ever bothered with finger and thumb grooves.... it is not done that way. It's like this... if someone took that time to work those grooves, they would also have taken the time to finish the whole piece. Your historical society is most likely run by local volunteers with little or no formal training. If the folk here say "no" you can take it to the bank.
Unclemac is correct, they did not make finger or thumb grooves, it would also take hundreds of years of constant use to wear finger grooves in the rock.

I have seen historical societys call pieces real that were actually fake and call natural rocks artifacts because they actually knew very little about Indian artifacts.

If you take it to an artifact show the experts there will tell you the same thing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you're saying and I agree however with this rock , in person, has enough characteristics to not be just a rock.

There are no characteristics in the pictures shown, again they did not make tools with finger or thumb grooves, and it would take hundreds of years of constant use to wear the grooves down by hand naturally. There are no signs of it being chipped or ground down by hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread