HELP IDENTIFYING THESE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
There's likely over a hundred years of combined experience from people that know better than historical societies and even most archys about identifying N A artifacts that have told you they are not. We would like them to be...but that just isn't the case.
Keep looking, there are many threads on here on the how, and where to find them.
We have all been where you are, experience will open your eyes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check ebay.... folk actually sell these rocks as "shaman stones", "portable rock art", and all kinds of "tools". I have seen actual driftwood being sold as "authentic native american carving".
A fool and his money is easily parted....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just rocks to me, and I was going to point out how long it would take to wear finger grooves in stone. However, you've obviously done some research on the site and determined it was occupied in the past, so good place to keep looking.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you're saying and I agree however with this rock , in person, has enough characteristics to not be just a rock.
A rock with character..... Okay. Still a rock.
A museum and three historical Societies close to me have some of the dumbest experts ever. As stated above most are volunteers or students. Kind of like a professional. Just because you make a buck at it doesn't make you an expert. I was a professional slurp gunner, but I don't know squat about fish. Honestly? The folks here have not just knowledge but boots on the ground experience the experts wish they had. And the best part? They share their vast knowledge for free! Ya can't beat that!

OP
OP
jaybreezy58

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rock with character..... Okay. Still a rock.
A museum and three historical Societies close to me have some of the dumbest experts ever. As stated above most are volunteers or students. Kind of like a professional. Just because you make a buck at it doesn't make you an expert. I was a professional slurp gunner, but I don't know squat about fish. Honestly? The folks here have not just knowledge but boots on the ground experience the experts wish they had. And the best part? They share their vast knowledge for free! Ya can't beat that!
No not character. Like Morals. Integrity, resolve. Well I am not sure where you live but where I live the folks at the historical society are well beyond qualified due to our area and history. I can get a good look at a t-bone bu sticking my head up a bulls a$$, but I'd rather take the butchers word for it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not character. Like Morals. Integrity, resolve. Well I am not sure where you live but where I live the folks at the historical society are well beyond qualified due to our area and history. I can get a good look at a t-bone bu sticking my head up a bulls a$$, but I'd rather take the butchers word for it.
There is almost 3000 years of experience with Indian artifacts here. The pictures posted are natural rocks formed by mother nature....

Thread moved to geofact forum..

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here's an idea, decide what you want to label each one of your artifacts, (pestle, hand axe, hammer etc.) and then do an image search on google and see if your stones match the ones you see in your search results. Be sure to add the term "native American" to the search.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here's an idea, decide what you want to label each one of your artifacts, (pestle, hand axe, hammer etc.) and then do an image search on google and see if your stones match the ones you see in your search results. Be sure to add the term "native American" to the search.
The only problem is he'll find all the other people who also incorrectly believe what they have are man made artifacts.

Search world-renowned museums' collections. Most of the top museums have searchable collections online. You will not find any that match your rocks...because they're just rocks.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem is he'll find all the other people who also incorrectly believe what they have are man made artifacts.

Search world-renowned museums' collection. Most of the top museums have searchable collections online. You will not find any that match your rocks...because they're just rocks.
There is always the "infamous" "Portable Art" websites.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of amateur Forensic geological experience wow@@@
Amateur? We have a lot of members who have been finding and studying Indian artifacts for well over 50 years.

If you are taking your rocks to historical societies it is no wonder you are misguided, historical societies know next to nothing about Indian artifacts.

There are lots of Indian artifact shows held all over the country, I am sure there are some held close to you, take your rocks to one and see what they tell you about them, but when they tell you they are just rocks, try not to insult them by calling them amateurs.

Check this link out and you will see the years of experience by members.

Last edited:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a lot of amateur Forensic geological experience wow@@@
Send it off to a good artifact grading Co. They will stamp it with Authentic or reproduction. I sent off 5 items i knew for sure were made by Native Americans, i also posted them here for some feed back wile i waited for the return of my artifact's. I think 1 or 2 members said they did not think they looked right my heart sank a little because i paid a boat load for them. Well i got my artifacts back with paperwork it mentioned museum quality but reproductions on all items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread