What's new

Help IDing beach find

hav2fish

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Help ID'ing beach find

Found this on a Texas beach during a fishing trip. I'm always looking down and driving everyone else crazy. Usually manage to outfish them anyway. Turtle? Armadillo? Looks to be part of something's shell to me. From the side it appears to have pores like bone. Underside seems to have enamel on it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
 

Attachments

  • th_BryansPics249.webp
    th_BryansPics249.webp
    822 bytes · Views: 300
  • th_BryansPics250.webp
    th_BryansPics250.webp
    506 bytes · Views: 294
Re: Help ID'ing beach find

That is a neural elememt from a turtle shell. What kind of turtle not sure sorry. 8) 8) 8) :)
 
Re: Help ID'ing beach find

Worthy55 said:
That is a neural elememt from a turtle shell. What kind of turtle not sure sorry. 8) 8) 8) :)
I agree with Worthy.

A "neural element" are bones that occur down the mid-line of the turtle carapace. (As I think about it, mid-line is the only place to find bilateral symmetry in a turtle carapace.)
 
Re: Help ID'ing beach find

Thanks for the help/replies. That makes sense. It is very symetrical. I'm guessing turtles are one of those creatures that have not changed very much over time. I may do a little research on prehistoric turtles. This one is is definetely fossilized.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom