What's new

Help IDing Bullet

Ed-D

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
429
Reaction score
810
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help ID'ing Bullet

I doubt this is very old, but I have no idea about bullets. I am just curious and hoped someone could help ID this and provide suggestions on how to ID bullets. This bullet measures about 8-9mm diameter and 16-18mm in length. I have to estimate because I am eyeballing it, and the bullet is deformed slightly.

The ruler scale is in cm's so each tick is 1mm.

Bullet1.webpBullet2.webpBullet3.webp
 
Not very old. Probably a 9 mm or a .380. They are very close in size. Some bullets you pretty much have to have precise caliper measurements, it always helps.
 
Upvote 0
It's a bit long for a 9mm or .380 slug. What first comes to mind is a fairly modern muzzle loader bullet from the hollow base, possibly .36 cal. or .40 cal.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry I miss read the post. 8.5mm =.33 1/2 of an inch So kinda like a black powder .35 cal round maybe...............just my guess...........HH
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Note that the mystery-bullet has a wide "shallow soup-bowl" base-cavity. No muzzleloader bullets below .50-caliber had that cavity. But many metal-cartridge bullets from the 1870s onward through the 20th-Century have that cavity.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom