What's new

Help IDing...military buckle??

robberry

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central California, Now NW Florida!
Detector(s) used
EX2 with X-1 Sun Ray Probe
So I found the piece at the same location as the 1853 seated half-dime I found....a fellow MDer tells me its a piece to a two piece buckle.....not that I don't trust him....but I'll feel better with conformations from some others....seems kinda thin to me, but again I've never found an old buckle..lolz...thanks for looking and HH - Rob
 

Attachments

  • 033108.webp
    033108.webp
    66.5 KB · Views: 902
  • 033108.webp
    033108.webp
    66.5 KB · Views: 885
your friend is correct.......

ALot of those seem to come out Of California and it is actually the tounge portion (broken) to a Militia Tounge and Wreath. Cool find dude.I always liked these with the eagle on them.Daniel
 
Rob, although I can't see the back, I'm going to assume it is made of thin stamped brass and would be from a 2 piece Sash buckle. Worn with a light cloth belt, sash buckles were light weight and would have been used in light duty service or dress occasions. It is missing the belt loop. You have the tongue. Nice find, David
Here's a look at a solid cast version (From CA by the way)
 

Attachments

  • Eagleplatetongue.webp
    Eagleplatetongue.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 830
Your example is of the stamped brass version the other pictured is cast.These buckles date back to the 1840's and are often misidentified as sash buckles,when in fact they were often used on heavy leather belts or elastic belts,they also were not exclusively military or militia although they did see use in both there were far more used in a civilian capacity than not.Neat find now find the rest!!
 
very nice,I am still looking for my first buckle or even a part of one.CONGRATS!!!!!!
:wav:

fortbball9
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom