D

dazzle

Button Photo May Provide Lead in Skeletal Remains Investigation

10/27/2004

Button
Phone: 503-682-0208 x 225
Pager: 503-323-3195

Photo of Button can be found at http://www.nevadasurveyor.com/button.htm

Investigators looking into the discovery of human skeletal remains in rural Tillamook County last week hope that buttons found in the area will help lead to an identification of the individual.

On October 20, 2004, an elk hunter reported the discovery to law enforcement authorities. The unidentified partial skeletal remains were located in a wooded area off Highway 26 near milepost 30.5 near Section 10 Road. A search of the area with the assistance of Oregon State Police Crime Lab personnel and 38 recruit officers from the State Police Recruit School located the remains, including the skull and lower jaw with teeth present. This should allow investigators to compare dental records in their attempt to confirm the identity.

On the front of the found buttons is the image of a 3-legged eagle surrounded around the rim with the words "ES DEVS SPES NOSTRA". Research reveals the origin is Latin and means, "GOD IS OUR HOPE". The buttons may be a reproduction / remake of buttons worn by Hessian soldiers during the Revolutionary War.

Investigators believe the skeletal remains may have been at the scene for at least one year. A forensic examination indicates the deceased is a Caucasian male, over 6 feet tall, and in an age group between late 20?s and mid 30?s.

Anyone with information regarding the identity of this individual is asked to contact Oregon State Police Detective Matt Beeson at (503) 325-5515 x 25, or Tillamook County Sheriff?s Office Detective Mike Fox at (503) 815-3342.

D

Diane L.

Ideas
1.You might ask your comunity area comerce if there was any? renisance type show? in that aera where they dress up and act play in old time wars..Ect..They would be able to tell you if there was any show put on that represent this type of show.
2.Army Resale shops that may carry or sell pieces that have this type of botton..Any sales within...say ...the last 2 -3? years before this happened! in the aerae surrounding this spot. "Unlikley" but you never know!
Just a couple of ideas ..I am going to do my own resaerch on this just for the knowledge.
3. "Antique road show" representitive that deals with military items
Those guys would be able to tell you anything or give you a good lead to where to look on this botton.
Ask at: The Antique road show.com
Notice!
Thank you and my deep respect goes out to all the hard work all Police do and to those who serve under them.
Just another note if you found this have someone do deep Metal detecting of the area there could be more. Especially if the person was dragged to the spot...or there was a fight...things could have been thrown around ...You know what I mean.

Upvote 0
C

Charles,Oak Island

You got any skin head white power group types in the area ? Button reminds me of some old research I did in that type of group ID. Any leather coat or heavy belt/boots?
Charles
retired LEO

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

Hi,You know I have been looking up the blazer buttons just to see if it is old or new I have not found anything ye t,though I found some that were real close...I even thought I saw some of this type of buttons on "Old Navy clothing"You can by now in the eclair's mall in WI.I'll bet your on a good lead with that idea.I wrote a company that is button experts of the civil war and Hessian time and now-a-day buttons..Maybe they can give some info.to me that can be passed.I specified if they can find out any infomation for buttons used on todays clothing also. I may even stop at my Neighbor hood resale shops and see if any older clothing have this buttons on them.even if I am not in this investigation it really starts my engine and I love it!This is right up my alley!Western close are a good type because they have these brass type buttons and blazers are a great lead also.
This reminds me of that sniper a few years ago.
Here is a story that I really did back when the guy was shooting people and they were trying to figure out where he hid....
I tracked "every report" and made a map of the area.Saw he was circling and stayed primarily in the same district and figured he was under something just could not put a finger on it.I reported it the Wausau WI news people Chanel 7 also.You should have seen the extensive map I made..The guy really torked me,? I read some information on war information and that led me to believe he had some training...Well ,all in all thanks to our Truckers in U.S.A.They saved the day.The internet is also useful when helping in cases as long as your not interupting an actual investigation.
Yep! I have an impulsive way but for the good in any case.
And I am proud to help also!
A true police friend , from C-WI. once? known as "Adam aa - t?'' ?got the 10-4?
Also for anybody that is interested in great reading and maybe wanting to do law work, here is a excellent A+ rated by me! book for a newbyr or more advanced.? "Police Technology out this 2004? by: Raymond E. Foster
I had the pleasure of doing a book review with listing of army stuff also.Very good read! and I wiil still be getting his signature and have all of his emails he sent...Very nice man.Note!This information is not to be used by regular people not in the proffession, it is only for the professional police associates.
Maybe I should be a writer he,he? ::)

{Gossip won't hurt you, it's proving it by mistakingly doing it without thinking, that will do you in!} Your freind!.

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

I just found a business "Tender Buttons" in New York City, that carries millions of buttons and also publisher of a book on buttons, I will try to see if they might be able to find out what cloth item may have had these buttons on them.they may have some arhcive of the use or what brand name cloths uesed these buttons.which can lead where they were sold ect..
You know I was also thinking Jean type of wear Long ankle length jackets that gang people wear..Kind of leads you to that reply of the man above who did this search also.I also see that some people have found replicas during detecting hunts in other areas in the U.S.A. so there has to be a place that produced clothing for the buttons.Funny no-body though I don't know that"Has claimed anyone missing during the last couple years.Maybe someone not from U.S.A. illegally here?wearing other country clothing. Just some ideas.Back to the bottons.Will keep looking and getting ideas.I hope I am helping in a good way. Question:If this button was found else wear then could there be a corelation?Just a thought that is it!Wouldnt it be cool though if something did match and came out of that idea?what ever!You guys got me stumped the button is a good search.

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

Can they get inside the button to get small minute particles of the clothing item it was on?This sounds strange that no clothing particles were not located....That may give a clue to what the button was on.Could they have been put there to sort of get you off their track?The Cold trial deal?You know what I mean..Scam tacktics to save their own buts..I would search that area with a fine toothed comb.
Unless the case was figured out already...Good Luck
By the way Put it on the" Unsolved mysteries.com" The show that used to be on T.V. now on Internet! People will respond on this site and it is a good one to go to .You can post this information on there and the button too!It still plays on T.V. even though the one detective actor died...He was really a great actor you know.I have searched just for the fun, but actually it's like metal detecting and I take it seriously.I wrote on a second site where there is a lot of people maybe I can get some reponce.I am starting to think these buttons are new. Most of the young folk you see out even gangy type wear new cloths only in there own style for each gang ect...I can swair I saw that button somewhere once before....But rightnow It's Smokey up here and it's not receiving the info..I am tired..... I M.D.ed all day today and my legs feel like rubber bands..But I Love IT!( Metal Detected) = M.D.ed!

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

Hello again...Here is some information that probably has no correlation to that mystery..But A button( like) yours found was found near Michigan.....On undiscovered mysteries there looking for a boy who's missing from there...who is not sure how tall...but ran away from home to possibly go to a brother in Texas? last seen in near chicago!last seen in 2001 not to long ago before that.Don't you have to go through or passed Oklahoma to get to Texas?Ok!..... someone missing!has..... a health problem,and may have gone through or found his way there..? weird ha!Maybe..... he got with the wrong people.I have been looking and have not found no buttons then this weird picture comes up!Just a thought! ???The Gorden Page case....
Now I rode a bus from Chicago!!!!!! to Utah years ago 20+ years ago and they stoped in Oklahoma for a rest Kind a scary, But like I said just a thought!
If those buttons where not quite the same, could it be they clothing buttons were substituted on that item. by the company?.Who would know that unless you checked every button! I have been told I look to deep into everything well what ever!If it helps!I could write a nice mystery novel!

That ain't nothing ..when I was about nine yrs old..me and a freind at a camp we were at in northen State we lived and Discoevred? and broke open a drug/picture taker...! case wide open...By mistakingly snooping in a camps freinds cabin and we found the bad stuff and stopped it!My freinds dad was a Police man and we used his services it was kind of fun!But Scarry too!
Don't? ever try this alone? Police are better trained and knowledgable in situations of such!!You could be the victum trying to act as an officer ect!! Allright!!!!
By the way thats for me and my friend to know and you to find out if indeed this is true...Only I know!

Oregon.....Michigan..Oklahoma..But what if there was a kidnapping or somthing ect..You know how story can go different directions.It's worth the check anyway.I was of a kilter or to with places.That button deal is just to strange.

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

Hi..Just a thought that I believed might help the officer..And with that...this got you to locate something I could not find! See what information going to person to person can do? Thanks for the help!Sir!

Upvote 0

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the proffesor with the candlestick in the dinning room.

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

And the man with the ghostly eyes walks up to me and says; please follow me up to the room !!!And do not go down to the cemetery..It has ghosts...as I walked along his side, I noticed a swift movement in the corner of the room and the feeling of cold suddenly made me feel cold. The hollow in the Dark part of the ceiling looked shadowy and reminded me of a face staring my way...I wondered if I would make it through the night here?Then as we walked to the door of the room I heard a loud screeching yell that made me very scarred and then the ghostly man opened the door .....And? guess what was behind it? Yep! Steve Hartman......My heart was thrilled and not to death! from 60 minuets....and his unworthy dog...WOW! HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!What a night we had!

Actually folks this is fun, but when helping an officer to help find an answer to a question as important as the one he asked, To me that is not a funny subject to laugh at. As an American I am bound to help where help is needed! no questions asked..Also, it is an honor to be able to give my help with the case and I do hope he has luck finding the answer.
Sir, God bless you all and thank you for protecting all of us here in the U.S.A.!

Upvote 0

SearchingTudor

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
Found some information on the button

I googled the words on the button and came up with quite a few sites.? On one of the sites, it gives contact information on someone wanting to sell 4 of the same buttons.? It seems they are antiques?? Yet worth only a buck a piece.? Also the words "Es Devs Spes Nostra" means "God is our hope".? Anyways here is the site I found the info on. http://www.anteques.com/srv/browse/item/8895.htm

P.S. they are selling on E-bay.? good luck

~The Rainbow Warrior Scout~

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

I guess my machine will not let me log out on this site..HM!! Strange! anyway this is really getting interesting A botton in Michigan, Oregon and now on this new site! But what do they use the bottons on now...Can anyone see if they can find out what clothing item has these bottons on them? Because then they can ask around anyone missing someone with the clothing with these bottons? They probably did...maybe someone will have seen the person with that clothing item with those bottons.Because they are so different..so the outfit was irregular to the stuff we normally wear...Unless like I said.. They were put there to get them off trial .
This is like the that mystery train that people can actually ride and detected a made up murder or what ever..It's true there is one but I am not sure where it is...
You know one found item can make or break a case..... but with all the new technology out there miracles happen really fast!I wonder what the officer thinks about these inserts since his reporting this case? ::) ;)I am going to keep looking anyway....You never can tell what might pop up!
I believe I may have seen a bird like that on a "code of arms."..which makes to think of gang/cult type of stuff maybe!.................................
It was mentioned before and also "renisaunce" I mentioned this one.

By the way there are a couple of E-Bays out there---------- This was noted on 60 minuts the t.v. show---------- I du not lie!...So be careful!.
also note:
The real? E-Bay does have quality products and they back their word too!

P.S.S. I wrote to the Button Net where they collect thousands of buttons and have many experts in that field ...
maybe they can help.

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

Ok! I am stuck on the button deal..but I had a thought......I have looked everywhere and have found nothing so far,I thought of a different idea...Coins! I saw On one button site that they took coins and made them into buttons.......and they looked just like a button of anything out there.
does anyone know of any coins out there with that similar look that could be this strange elusive button?....Otherwise a Victorian type button has the same look and there are lot of copies out there! I wrote to another button collector also..asking if they knew anything of what type clothing this button may be used on today!
This is definitely a killer question button! Thats not supposed to be funny I have put a lot of time in this button.To make this short---------------IWGBTYL! -----------Ok! :) 8)

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

Notice!!!!

Ok... folks we are on a button roll......I just received an email from a nice lady: Carol Cienna From the? President of the National Button Society!!!!Los Angeles button club!..."Man that is Cool!" ;D
Email at:<[email protected]> Please don't send email unlesss it is of professional reponce, She wants to help!

I do not know how to put this email on the net so I will type in the most important parts of this letter about the button!!!
Used on Military and uniform type was mentiponed though this was already figured into the picture!!

1..These buttons are found on Modern Blazers with this inscription...!!!
2.They were seen many times on dress trade buttons, but she does not know the source.
When she sees the button better.I sent the address where to see the button!!!

This is what she wrote about the button also!
quoted { I believe the buttons fitting the dress trade description of metal,two-piece construction with inserted wire shank were made from the 1950s until perhaps the 1970s but would be quite out of style now.}

1. That means this was an older outfit..of course!
someone who does not have a lot of money possibly homeless!!! Or that just likes his older suits.

Lets give this great lady a nice Thankyou for her help and to the future! because she might see something else once she hopefully gets a good view of the button!
Good I am proud of me! and all who have helped with this button story...And how intriguing can it get...
Sherlock Holmes here!!!!? The story goes on!!!! but it will be explained! 8) ;)

Upvote 0
M

Mystery

Dear Sir!
I do not think that the gal above is trying to be or copy any Officer/Investigator..I truly think she is trying to help and trying to find some good information for a good clue to go by..Also, Most Police will appreciate help when asking for it, as long as the person is attempting to find good information and is not interupting the real investigators while they are doing their job and that is real law, if you really understood the workings of police work!!Police are Professionals in their line of work and so are the Investigators.....They know what has to be done and know when to ask for advise also!The Officer that put this information n this site has probably looked at all responses on their own time and also have "Checked" all who have written with their own technique to be certain no-one who has written is part of the problem they seek to find..But thats for them to know ...But who knows!? I give this gal a "Pat on the back" and hope it does help with their search ....I thought she was doing pretty well...I Support our Police and those who work under them.
Thank you goes out to those hard working heroes and also our U.S.A.Troops! ;D

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but Duane L is not a gal. Unless Duane is a woman's name ???
I don't knock the fact that he is trying to help, but just get to the point instead of babling on about all the other stuff like,
"Good I am proud of me! and all who have helped with this button story...And how intriguing can it get...
Sherlock Holmes here!!!! The story goes on!!!! but it will be explained!"
Get real, this guy is looking for help. Keep your answers short and to the point.
The info the lady was giving is fine, the relayer of that message only needs to give facts to help the case along.
HUh??? - "They know what has to be done and know when to ask for advise also!The Officer that put this information n this site has probably looked at all responses on their own time and also have "Checked" all who have written with their own technique to be certain no-one who has written is part of the problem they seek to find..But thats for them to know ...But who knows!? " - HUH????? Oh, well, who knows?

Upvote 0

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i hope it is the same sorry @#$% from oregon that never sent the motorcycle frame i purchased off e-bay for 245.00....if it is i hope he was barely hurt and buzzards finished the job while he watched.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread