Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my backyard this group of quarts has just recently popped up.Either deer,squirrels & or wind has removed the leaves to reveal it.Area has "some" quarts but not piled up like this.Also the remains of an old (1700s,1800s) trail/road are on the property.Which you can just make out in the 2nd. pix.And I have found an Indian head penny just off the wagon trail. 005.JPG 007.JPG

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks natural to me. Maybe a lot of surface quartz in the ground and the tree roots pushed it out. Just what I am thinking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering IF. The pile of rocks were piled up before the tree was there.And the tree grew up through them,spreading the pile .

Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the tree burl brought the quartz up. I would look at the area with Google Earth. I have read there is gold in Virginia.

Upvote 0

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My guess would be the tree brought them up , them being exposed now could be where coon hounds or squirrel dogs were treed i have seen them wear a place pretty good. but i would certainly be detecting it if you found targets at all in the area. but these still could have been pilled up there from road clearing.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig down in an area not around the trees and see whats there, should answer if the tree roots pushed them up or not.

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say man made. It looks like something you will find in a Jesuit related site. Repost it in the Jesuit sites to get more answers.

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia is very complex geologically, there are spots that have giant pegmatite's (basically a multi crystal hot spot), metamorphic or mountain building rocks, and spots that are just sedimentary rocks. Amelia Courthouse Virginia is one such place that has a very nice pegmatite that produces a wide variety of gems(famous for Amazonite). I've mined there and dug a lot of holes, and crystal quartz and white quartz cobble are common from what I've found. BUT you'll never know until you dig there in that spot to see if there is anything else (I would do that myself). I would dig the base of the tree, then 5 feet out at each point of the compass...5 feet south, 5 feet north etc to see if there is a connection.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
026.JPG
Thanks for all the input guys :) I'll get to digging just as soon as these 4 broken foot bones heal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the tree burl brought the quartz up. I would look at the area with Google Earth. I have read there is gold in Virginia.

Yes Va. has gold scattered all throughout the state.There are 3 registered gold mines w/in a few miles of my house.
Also,Here is the coin I posted in the OP.Not period correct.But its something.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread