What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Help me identify this!

MailforSandy

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 10, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
This metal "paper airplane-looking" piece was found on the chain with aWWII dog tag. Is it related? Is the chain original because the end pieces of the chain are too big to get the dog tag and metal piece off.
Please ignore the old employee pin!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2777.webp
    IMG_2777.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2775.webp
    IMG_2775.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Welcome to Tnet. No, the chain is not original official issue and I don’t think the dart/stake/dagger charm is related to the tag.

During World War II, the U.S. Army initially issued dog tags with shoelace-like cotton cords or fabric lanyards (up until 1940), and then with linked ‘curb’ style metal chains which were standardised with double J-clasps (aka ‘sister-hooks’) in 1943. Like this:

Tag1.webp

Tag2.webp


This setup used a linked chain with two twin-hook catches that required both hands to open and clamp onto the tag holes, suspending one tag lower than the other. There were two tags such that, in the event of casualty, one remained with the body for permanent ID and the other was collected for reporting and administration purposes.

In 1944, they switched to a beaded ball chain.

I'm, ignoring the employee pin, but I assume you know it's the same person as for the dog tag.
 
Upvote 0
Good to know the chain is not military issue. I had never seen one like it associated with dog tags.
Is there a better place to post the metal object? I will separate it from the dog tag and get better photos.
 
Upvote 0
Good to know the chain is not military issue. I had never seen one like it associated with dog tags.
Is there a better place to post the metal object? I will separate it from the dog tag and get better photos.

You're in the right place to get the charm identified and some pictures of it in isolation would help. From what I can see, and given the Italian heritage of the wearer, I think it may be intended as a representation of an 'Italian dagger'. These were popular conceal-carry personal defence weapons in renaissance times and later, with a very distinct blade profile intended to make puncture wounds from stabbing that were difficult to seal and heal.

This is one of the actual daggers:
Dagger1.webp


...and this is a pendant borrowing from the design;
dagger2.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom