Help Medallion/Medal Identification

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this medallion, medal thingy at the park yesterday. I have searched crest, medallions, medals, coat of arms but cannot find any information. Any help, ideas, pointers, etc. would be great.
Thanks ya'll!

It appears to have been painted gold at one time. None of the gold came off during cleaning. There are no makers marks, writing, etc. It was about 6 inches deep.
The front has a crown on top of what looks like a lamp shade for a head eagle.
The back has a lot of things going on. Looks like a monkey on the left, swords in the form of a cross at the top, two headed looking eagle in the middle. The small crest on the eagle's chest has a terrier looking dog!

Attachments

• medallion after 2.jpg
    medallion after 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 472
  • medallion after 2.jpg
    medallion after 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 443

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a theory, but I feel like this piece may relate to, or be Austrian in origin. Austria used the double-headed eagle on some of their coinage, they had established a duel-monarchy in 1867 under the title of Austria-Hungary. After WWI Austria was cut down to a tiny fraction of its previous size and became a republic. The later coinage then showed a single headed eagle with a crown. I think this piece probably was commerating these changes in the Austrian government. But like I said this is just my theory. ;)

D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerBug

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your absolutely right. Austria is listed on the following web site. From what I could find, "The double headed eagle is a common symbol in heraldry and vexillology. Several Eastern European nations use this symbol today, having adopted this symbol from the Byzantine Empire." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-headed_eagle
All the ones shown on this site seem to have a crown above the eagle's heads instead of the swords formed into a cross.

The medallion almost seems to contradict its self since the eagle on front has one head with a crown above and the eagle on the back has two heads with a cross above.

Upvote 0

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Greetings,

It is almost certainly a watch fob identifying the bearer as being of a certain high rank within the Bavarian Illuminati/Knights Templars dating back to the early 1800's. The "double cross" tells us that it is of Templar origin. The double-headed eagle is the symbol of the Illuminati FIRST... before it became associated with Austria. The crown over the eagle symbolizes the wearer as being of the "Royal Merovingian" bloodline claimed still by all the present kings and queens of Europe supposedly originating from a child fathered by Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalen.

It is a rare find and its loss would have been very upsetting to its wearer.

DC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerBug

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks OldPro! The Knights of Templar came up on several of my searches though I didn't see anything quite like this (with the monkey & dog). I'll go back research more intensively Bavarian Illuminati & Knights Templar.
Thanks again.

Oh, it's too big for a watch fob. It's as big as a watch.

medallion & watch.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerBug

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry OldPro, it was the Scottish Rite not the Knights of Templar although I think both are Masonic in nature.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Piggy-backing on AnOldPro, and using his information I googled some of the elements and found other fobs that carry some of those elements, just to offer you a visual.

From this e-bay site (notice double eagle): http://cgi.ebay.com/Masonic-Templar...agle-32-009_W0QQitemZ7735623209QQcmdZViewItem

Most masonic stuff is readily seen and found on-line all over the place... but this piece is proving difficult, and finding another that is even close has been tough. Would really like to see some kind of pictorial verification of it's background.

AnOldPro... any ideas for visual sources?

Attachments

• fob1.JPG
    fob1.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerBug

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim Most masonic stuff is readily seen and found on-line all over the place... but this piece is proving difficult said:
Yes, Jim I too would really like to pinpoint this to something definant.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread