Help Needed

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Been detecting a 300 acre field for the past few months. Two weeks ago, I get a monster hit and pull this chunk from a depth of about 11 inches. It measures approximately 4.75" x 3.5" and is close to two inches thick. Weight is just over one pound. The pics don't do it justice as far as the true coloration goes. The soil here is as red as it gets and ridiculously tough to scrub clean. I let this soak in just about every concoction possible (for a week) to try and break up some of the soil stains. One side is relatively smooth when compared to the other which is a bit more "jagged". It appears to have been hit by a plow at some point in time.
The thing puzzling me is this - I have dug slag before and this looks nothing like any slag I have ever seen or dug personally. It looks like it was part of a much larger piece and has an actual "curved" feel to it. Most of the soil I was able to scrub off came from the jagged side. This revealed what looks like small (tiny) black square opaque "crystals" built up upon each other. The "smooth" side has been nearly impossible to get clean - color on this side ranges from a dark gray to black.
As far as the "magnet test" goes - the jagged side attracts the magnet but very slightly. The smooth side has areas where the magnet is very strongly attracted and some areas that are slightly attracted. What's interesting to me is a small "cavity" on the side that seems to repel the magnet and pushes it off to either side.

Sorry for the long winded post but I want to supply as much info as possible. I'd like to know the possibilities of this being an actual meteorite or not. Nearest "big" university is about two hours away as far as testing it goes. Thanks in advance for any help/info regarding this piece.

Any ideas on better ways to clean this up would be great as well... :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• PICT0002 copy (Small).jpg
    PICT0002 copy (Small).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 219
  • PICT0003 copy (Small).jpg
    PICT0003 copy (Small).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 207
  • PICT0004 copy (Small).jpg
    PICT0004 copy (Small).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 218
  • PICT0005 copy (Small).jpg
    PICT0005 copy (Small).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 211
  • PICT0006 copy (Small).jpg
    PICT0006 copy (Small).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 220
  • PICT0008 copy (Small).jpg
    PICT0008 copy (Small).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 211

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some thorough research of my own here lately I am going to have to tell you what you have is not going to be a meteorite. The crystals are a dead give away. I thought what I had found was possibly one but so far it failed the scratch test and is porous on the inside. I opened up a small area with a file. Your piece seems too porous to be a meteorite to me but it is just my opinion. This thread seems to have slowed down a bit for some reason I do not know but someone else could possibly tell you more about it in the rock and jem thread. As far as cleaning it up a bit I have always had luck just soaking in water for a period of time. Just my 2 cents, Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread