HELP! OLD SWORD! When is it from? What does it say?

Scorpio_queen6

Jun 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

My father in law gave me this sword someone was throwing away at the recycling center. We like old stuff so he gave it to us. We have no idea what language is on the sword or what year its from. Tried asking around and no one knows. Seems very old and is super eerie to be around. Please help me figure this out! Idk what other forums to post on.

Here are some pictures.
Old Sword.png Old Sword 1.jpg Old sword 3.png Old Sword 4.png Old Sword 5.png Old Sword 6.jpg Old Sword 7.png Old Seord 8.png Old Sword 9.png Old Sword 10.png Old Sword 11.png

Thanks!

-Jessica

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried to clean it or test the metal? Are the reddish stones carnelian or coral?

Upvote 0

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried to clean it or test the metal? Are the reddish stones carnelian or coral? I wonder if it is silver?

Upvote 0

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of yatagans date from the period 1750–1860, and from the number of plain, wooden-hilted weapons they were honest fighting weapons as well as ornate parade weapons. The more ornate examples were often worn as a status symbol by civilians, as well as military men, much in the way smallswords were worn in 18th century Western Europe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scorpio_queen6

Scorpio_queen6

Jun 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s silver and gold after I cleaned it. I believe it’s coral. Also, there are red and green gems after I cleaned it. Check it out 06B23F08-2C9E-4B43-84E7-4DC5CCD00A6F.jpeg BD5288A8-77B4-4003-BE76-E35EE7D1CD65.jpeg EF7DB1BF-4D7A-482E-8EE7-61B9BADAD882.jpeg
Have you tried to clean it or test the metal? Are the reddish stones carnelian or coral? I wonder if it is silver?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scorpio_queen6

Scorpio_queen6

Jun 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is a yatagan after some research, I’ve just never seen a sheath (scabbard) like this anywhere online .

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice a great piece.

Upvote 0

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Scorpio, I used to collect ancient beads and had a nice collection. Sadly I had to sell most of them one time when I couldn't pay my mortgage.

Coral from that part of the world is very scarce now, as I recall, because the coral reefs are either dying and/or there are restrictions on harvesting. I can't remember which.

Some of the more red stones may be carnelian. I don't know what the green ones are and it looked like there was a purple one also.

That is such a wonderful, handmade, cool piece.

Upvote 0

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sword is amazing! You really have something there, congratulations!

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed a spot missing a piece of the mother-of-pearl inlay you can probably shape a piece to replace that. You can probably find some mother-of-pearl in a hobby store where the buttons are.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread