What's new

Help or Ideas

ynpto804

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
646
Reaction score
258
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Ive been toying with the idea of diving for civil war relics. I have a good site that has civil war lines that run right up to the edge of a pond that is period. Ive got a good idea that there should be relics at the bottom. I got tons of questions. Anyone ever dove in a pond to recover anything? What kind of detector should I get? I have always wanted to get certified to dive so now would be a good time as any. I also have access to diving gear. I'm just trying to kinda feel this all out. So really any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
Matt

I also posted this in the water detecting forum. But the more ideas the better.
 
What kind of relics do you think are there? You might try a recovery magnet for iron relics. I'm kid of interested in this too since I have a line on a similar site in a lake near me.
 
The lines are right on the edge of steep bank that is about 25-30 feet tall. I know that there were about 10 buckles and box plates dug out of these lines so I would think that any thing from box plates to bullets and buttons should be there. I also think/suspect that no one has done this before here. Sure underwater detectors have been around for a while it just seems like too big of a undertaking. I'm just trying to figure it all out.
 
Curious, just how large is that pond, and how deep? :dontknow:
 
I think I'd start by getting a rock climbing harness and some rope (if the bank is REALLY steep) and working my way down to the edge of the water first, then take it from there.
 
Dragging a magnet is the cheapest and inital step I would take. I would save diving for the items that are buried.
 
spartacus53- I am guessing the pond is in the 10 to 12 feet deep range and about 15 to 20 acres.

21stTNCav- I thought about a magnet but they do not pick up brass and I dont have one strong enough to pull a shell or cannon ball off the bottom. I know that they should be there as well (Ive dug grape shot here and fragments)

NOLA_Ken- Thats on the to-do list.

I will take some photos of the site next time I get a chance.
 
Whatever you decide,for the first few times have someone with you!
Is the pond man-made and was it the same size at the time of the war?
 
warsawdaddy- The pond is a period mill I believe. I dont see any evidence of it being a different size.
 
You might consider an above water air supply system. Gold dredgers use them quit a bit. Just a gas engine sitting on a tube or other small floating platform, pumping air to you. Just a thought. You can find them at almost any prospecting supply store. I think they call them a hookah. Don't quote me on that. :laughing7:
 
Any kind of underwater detector would work, I'd go with a cheaper one, if you don't plan on using it full time. There will be many relics in the water, mostly bullets.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom