Help please, I’d like more info on these chairs!

Becca D

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help please, I’d like more info on these ladder back chairs!

I have had these ladder back chairs for a while, and I’m curious to learn more about them. There is a mark underneath that appears to read “17.” Any information about these chairs would be greatly appreciated!!
F407DA24-343A-41C2-8C6A-CF6FA596E1AD.jpeg 959B1243-49A6-429B-B9D8-BBFA69BD693E.jpeg 8A6F1827-8BC6-4A7D-95C5-413E6F02CDAF.jpeg

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Becca! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved from Today's Finds! over to Forum: What Is It? for more exposure.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 4 chair set like those that Mom bought in the late 50's/early 60's. I just had the seats recaned.

Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like Stickley's chairs.

They look similar but have too much turning on the stiles/spindles. Style-wise, with Stickley less is more. Also the cross rails, usually four, (ladder) on Stickley examples have a more dramatic cutout on the underside. Stickley pieces are usually marked as well.
15-20 years ago Stickley was wildly popular with collectors and the prices on even the smaller pieces were sky-high. Prices have come down quite a bit and many pieces are even affordable now. I'm conflicted by this because as a fan of the style, I can now afford to buy it but as a 'treasure hunter' who hopes to make a profit after finding pieces at GW or tag sales, not so much.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They wouldn't be lathe turned or the back-horizontals "fancied" up like that for Shaker chairs.

Those are more a rush-seat ladderback

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread