Help Please :), Native American Something or nothing?

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, I'm very new to this website and need a little help...

This was found in Colorado less than a month ago on a hike up to Carpenters peak. It was surprisingly easily spotted just off the trail. To me it looks worked and sharpened at the edge similar to one of the displayed pieces I saw in the Visitors Centers of that exact park. My boyfriend says its likely nothing as usual. He does have a keen eye but often quickly throws away anything i dig up / find.. i personally think to be worth a 2nd look, what do you think?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_7875.JPG
    IMG_7875.JPG
    827.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_7878.JPG
    IMG_7878.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7883.JPG
    IMG_7883.JPG
    423.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7885.JPG
    IMG_7885.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 139

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet.

Sorry, there is nothing in pictures posted that says artifact.

Upvote 0

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s definitely interesting. Wish photos were clearer. Your getting close

Upvote 0

Clo

Oct 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pic one appears to show some large flake removals, while pic 4 shows at least two obvious percussion flakes running at a 45 degree angle from bottom right to top left. But it appears unfinished to me. Take some clearer pics in natural light outside, at all angles so we can make better guesses.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Congrats.

I believe it's small fat scraper. They were commonly held between the thumb and the first knuckle of the index finger. Try and see if that fits? Used to flense small animal hides for clothing or decretive pieces.

Location, Location, I once found a drill point laying in the middle of the street in Williamsburg, Va. Just tucked in real neat between the cobblestones. No telling how old that trail might be.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I blew pictures up and I see nothing in pictures saying it is artifact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cowsaretrippy

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_7904.JPG IMG_7901.JPG IMG_7902.JPG IMG_7903.JPG

I tried to take photos outside for more clarity, its a damn overcast day so im not sure if theyre that much better than the previous

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It” Patrick Henry March 20, 1775

Artifact.jpg

I respectfully submit that the red arrows indicate the area where the stone specimen has been sharpened. And very finely sharpened at that. As a blade maker myself I would compare the sharpness of this artifact with a Damascus edge in that both this piece and a Damascus blade feature micro-serrations which are the secret of their amazing edges. This tool could be used for preparing hides, removing bone marrow, skinning or for shaving small bits of meat off the bones of their prey.

Best wishes and thanks for your attention.------Phil

Upvote 0

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
“I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It” Patrick Henry March 20, 1775

View attachment 1641187

I respectfully submit that the red arrows indicate the area where the stone specimen has been sharpened. And very finely sharpened at that. As a blade maker myself I would compare the sharpness of this artifact with a Damascus edge in that both this piece and a Damascus blade feature micro-serrations which are the secret of their amazing edges. This tool could be used for preparing hides, removing bone marrow, skinning or for shaving small bits of meat off the bones of their prey.

Best wishes and thanks for your attention.------Phil

Without seeing it/holding it, I'd safely say it is at least a flake.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you are talking about, but without having it in hand I can't personally say it is secondary flaking, I have seen a lot of flint that had natural chips that some mistook for flaking. I blew up the new picture but it falls apart before I can see the edge clearly. Not saying your wrong, only that I cant see edge clearly.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or bind it on a stick and have a knife. I saw this demo on the discovery channel where they had unearthed a small knife, stone about this size and shape fastened on a stick, and could see that a really hard resin glue had been used. They analyzed the material and found out it was from a conifer tree that grew locally. Then the scientist were scratching their heads to figure out how they melted the glue without it catching on fire. So finally one of the scientists gets this bright idea and takes two ostrich eggs. He cuts the top from one egg and dumps the contents and put the scrapings from the tree inside. He uses the other to make a cap for the first and sealed them with mud. They set the crucible up between some rocks and buried it in hot coals. They found the right amount of time by trial and error and then fished it out and opened the crucible. Inside the sap had become the texture and stickiness of ferrule cement like we use on fishing rods and arrow inserts. They applied it to a forked stick and a small blade someone had napped, stuck them together and then wrapped thin leather cord around it. In about an hour it was bulletproof. Very durable. Amazing!

Upvote 0

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think anyone can conclusively say it's a tool based on those photos... It's not possible because the photo is not crisp enough to see any flaking or even what the edge looks like besides being a little jagged... in fact, the photos point more towards it being just a piece of debitage in my opinion. The original poster can solve it themselves... if they can't get a better photo of that edge, they can look and that edge looks scalloped or intentionally flaked, than maybe it's a small flake knife/scraper -- or utilized flake -- but it's certainly not a nice refined tool. Regardless, with that said, if anything, I'd say it is a flake so it is an artifact. And if it's the first thing you found, it's still a cool find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cowsaretrippy

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Phil thank you so much for taking the time to really look at my stone. I sincerely and genuinely appreciate it :)

Upvote 0

Truthseeker411

Sep 23, 2018
Eastern North carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me cool find, and honestly saying im new too, well if your like me and my finds, i cherish, and keep on keeping on with the endless hunt, lol actually today i was in a grocery store parking lot, eyeing the pebbels in the pavement.😂😂

Upvote 0

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
To me cool find, and honestly saying im new too, well if your like me and my finds, i cherish, and keep on keeping on with the endless hunt, lol actually today i was in a grocery store parking lot, eyeing the pebbels in the pavement.😂😂

That's how somethings are found and that's a tool in the picture.
The other pictures help.
Good find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread