Help to ID Stoneware Pottery Jug

rcpigs

Jul 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JUG 002 (1280x960).jpg JUG 003 (1280x960).jpg JUG 006 (1280x960).jpg JUG 007 (1280x960).jpg JUG 008 (1280x960).jpg I have a stoneware pottery jug that I know nothing about. It is a dark brown with reddish color (looks like flames) coming up from edge of the bottom and scattered throughout. It stands 8" tall and about 7" wide at the widest point. It has about a 2" indented bottom. It is stamped with a D and what looks like an H was scratched in the pottery before glazing. It is heavy. I used my camera flash on the piece, so you can see the detail, but the color is a very dark black/brown, and shiny. I am not even sure what it was used for; especially with the way it has the large bowled bottom. Any help would be appreciated. Kind Regards, rcpigs

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard rcpigs! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shape suggests water jug, the glaze screams home studio or 'hippie pottery' as termed by David Rago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions