All Treasure Hunting
It's a Livery Button, circa 1840's

Last edited:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking button! Plenty of gilt left on that one. Congrats!

OP
OP
D

dirtfishing1

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2014
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your help would you be able to help with with another button that was found in the same field please ? will try and upload pic ( im new to this )

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is nice.must have come out of good ground.will the back clean up any better?

OP
OP
D

dirtfishing1

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2014
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buttons 002.jpg buttons 001.jpg another gold gilded button from the same field also found Elizabeth 1st penny dated around 1558

Last edited:

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 2nd One Is A Civilian Two-piece Button From The Mid 1800S . What Does The Backmark read

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net! :hello: :cat: I've been enjoying t-net for 3 years & have rarely seen dug items with as much gilding still on them as yours! :blob9: Congrats on finding a good location to detect and dig those older items! HAVE FUN! Andi

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a mid 1800s-late 1800s, if you soak in lemon juice it will clean up good. (make sure you wash with water after soaking)

Kev Woodward

Greenie
Apr 18, 2013
UK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a mid 1800s-late 1800s, if you soak in lemon juice it will clean up good. (make sure you wash with water after soaking)

Not the best treatment for it as you are likely to remove a lot of the coating......just leave it as it is, it's just fine :thumbsup:

This is a livery button dating to 1840-1845 (by the back markings) and indicates a double-barrelled name popular at the time when two families joined in marriage. I haven't been able to identify the left hand crest but I'm not the only one British Armorial Bindings and the right hand crest is for one of these families Antique Silver : MyFamilySilver.com my best guess would be Coleman as they are from Wiltshire which is the nearest to you. The 'tree' is actually called a caltrap, a four pronged device used to delay cavalry during medieval times. It is stylised on this crest as in reality one of the four prongs will always be uppermost no matter what attitude it lands on the ground.
Can I use this image for my website please? https://sites.google.com/site/liverybuttonsidentified/

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the best treatment for it as you are likely to remove a lot of the coating......just leave it as it is, it's just fine :thumbsup:

This is a livery button dating to 1840-1845 (by the back markings) and indicates a double-barrelled name popular at the time when two families joined in marriage. I haven't been able to identify the left hand crest but I'm not the only one British Armorial Bindings and the right hand crest is for one of these families Antique Silver : MyFamilySilver.com my best guess would be Coleman as they are from Wiltshire which is the nearest to you. The 'tree' is actually called a caltrap, a four pronged device used to delay cavalry during medieval times. It is stylised on this crest as in reality one of the four prongs will always be uppermost no matter what attitude it lands on the ground.
Can I use this image for my website please? https://sites.google.com/site/liverybuttonsidentified/

I've never removed any of the coating (done it a hundred times) with this techique or I would not have suggested it. Have you? It does however turn the low points which are copper a kind of red colour, but overall its a positive effect.

Last edited:

Kev Woodward

Greenie
Apr 18, 2013
UK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't being confrontational, just in my experience it can have a detrimental effect if over done which is very easy to do. I guess the finder will make their own decision.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lemon juice will bring any gilt out on a button that can be brought out,helps with the back marks too. Soak is probably not the best word to use.I will usually let a button sit in lemon juice maybe a minute or two,scrub with toothbrush,and repeat until desired affect.Once you get the method down,I think it is the best method to use as far as I have found .It can discolor a item,but that would be from over cleaning.nice buttons

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions