What's new

help who has good flint

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
Anyone got a site that is trustworthy to buy good flint? thanks
 
Upvote 0
if you are around any old and abandoned railroads tracks.
I have found that the old stones they use is a great supplies of flint.
I really like the ones with a white power looking cortex
 
Awsome iam near plenty of tracks. ill check it out. I ordered flint from 2 sites but only got my order from 1. Thanks. I live near an old glass furnace and get some good waste material from there but its got lots of imperfections. Mostley get flakes for small points from it.
 
thay need to be the old tracks
most of the newer tracks just use white rocks
the old tracks use cobble stone.which is differn grades of flint
 
I can send you some, if you want. I'm no knapper myself, so I have no idea if it's any good for knapping. There is a spot on my Archaic site where I think the Natives quarried it. I find huge spalls and blanks all over there. Some really nice red and blue colored materials. lots of coral head geodes and nodules too.
 
Sure thing. If you have found spalls and blanks then its workable. Have you tried using it? If your confident in it let me know a price and ill give it a try. If it knapps nice ill buy a good bit off you. Thanks Ben
 
There are two guys at Flint Ridge that deal in high quality stuff -I buy mine from Keith Baranski at the knap-in on labor day weekend. I have no contact for him but there is another guy who sells on the internet. His name is Gary hardy and had a web site. His stuff is good but not as good as Keith's. I have a little left because I missed the knap-in this year so I really can't part with any. Let me know how it goes. I may be able to send you a sample of some small stuff just to see the quality. You can also see it on my previous posts on this page.
 
try Riverbend Lapidary, has nodules, slabs, exotics, etc.
 
I am not far from the PA Jasper Quarries. I know i could score some large examples. I have never knapped before so i do not know what type of spalls you need. What do they sell for??? I want to know if it is worth the trip for me. It is a hr away. I say i know because i use to landscape that area and it was everywhere. So after that I found out where the quarry was.......................Let me know...................GTP
 
GTP Any size stone that contains enough material can produce a head. It just depends on your skill level and the quality if the material.. Jasper is usually heat treated to make it easier to knap. I did a lot of practicing using the bottoms of beer bottle and old pieces of glass. Just make sure you are outdoors any time you are knapping. I have no clue on jasper prices but a 5 gallon bucket of heat treated flint ridge cand go from 35-75 dollars. and thats without shipping. If you have access to jasper and bunches of it why not use it. I drive to flint ridge which is three hours from my house just to get some mojo and inspiration from the history of the area. The quarries are now national land marks and can not be mined. You may find the same in your area. If you need some start up help let me know and I can direct you to some stuff on the internet. Here are two of my glass heads.
 

Attachments

  • DSC08878.2.webp
    DSC08878.2.webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 622
  • DSC08878.2.webp
    DSC08878.2.webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 603
  • DSC08887.webp
    DSC08887.webp
    120.8 KB · Views: 310
PrimitiveOne said:
GTP Any size stone that contains enough material can produce a head. It just depends on your skill level and the quality if the material.. Jasper is usually heat treated to make it easier to knap. I did a lot of practicing using the bottoms of beer bottle and old pieces of glass. Just make sure you are outdoors any time you are knapping. I have no clue on jasper prices but a 5 gallon bucket of heat treated flint ridge cand go from 35-75 dollars. and thats without shipping. If you have access to jasper and bunches of it why not use it. I drive to flint ridge which is three hours from my house just to get some mojo and inspiration from the history of the area. The quarries are now national land marks and can not be mined. You may find the same in your area. If you need some start up help let me know and I can direct you to some stuff on the internet. Here are two of my glass heads.

Nice.......Nah I don't make them I just know jasper like flint ridge is quality material. The beautiful part is there on farm lands and not national park area. I use to landscape around the farms there and found plenty of chips and spalls when i would did for mulch beds. I was only seeing if it was worth the time to get it to try and sell it............................GTP
 
GTP, Thanks for looking out. Im not sure what to price as. I would love to get some of that jasper though. Here in maryland we find a few jasper points that probably come from near you. I usually pay 50 for 25lbs for obsidian and novaculite but that includes shipping. if you could do that it would be great. I can heat treat it myself. I would do 50 lbs for 100. Let me know. Probably not worth the trouble for ya so no worries just give me a heads up. Thanks BEN
 
Ben, are you still looking for flint? I could get you some from down here in Texas. Mostly Brazos river flint in my area.
 
Sure you got any pix of it? Let me know what you want for it and all that. Thanks for the reply. Im up in maryland
 
There is an old railroad bed near me that has the white/cream colored,flint like rock in it.I would be happy to mail you a box.I'm not sure about the size,or even the name of the stuff. I'll check out the size,let me know if you are interested. Lightman
 
Ben, I'll get pics up tonight or in the morning. take a look, some of these pieces have already been spalled off, you should be able to get some nice points out of it....goat
 
Oldgoat and lightman let me know i am allways looking for new stuff. You can find me on this post or p.m. me Thanks again for looking out for me. Ill make ya some points if it all works out.
 
Bsit, I have lost your address,please pm me with it again. I have gathered up a box of flint and will get it in the mail to you. Lightman
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom