Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I found this button in southern Delaware last week, but I'm struggling to identify it.
The logo on the front is unfamiliar; it seems to have an artistic "U T CO" or "T U CO", but I'm not sure.

I thought that being able to read the backmark would help solve the mystery, but - I can't read that backmark.
I know it says "Phila.", and I'm aware that Horstmann buttons had "Phila." on the back, but - I don't think the rest of the letters spell Horstmann. (OK I'm certain they don't.)
And in picture "NEW 5" isn't it weird that the "C C" are imprinted differently than the other letters? That reminds me of a counterstamp on some coins...

Can any of you read the backmark, or do you recognize it?

Thanks in advance.

- Brian

S20230120_008.jpg

S20230120_006.jpg

S20230120_007.jpg

S20230120_001.jpg

S20230120_002.jpg

S20230120_003.jpg

S20230120_004.jpg

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 1
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep looking at button back marks to see if I can find an example like this.......
Thank you again. Yeah I did exactly the same thing - and was stumped.
If the button were in worse condition, or if the front design was plain, I wouldn’t give this button two thoughts.

But that front design is pretty cool, and it’s driving me nuts not being able to figure out what it is.
I hope the backmark will help - but I’m losing hope.

Thanks again for any help.

Upvote 1

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool button and a stumper for sure. Maybe look at Philadelphia City directories for button manufacturers. The front looks like it has some band or music symbols. Will look some more tomorrow.

Upvote 2

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The emblem on your button's front represents the Union Traction Company, which operated "electric railway' streetcars.

I can't help you much with the backmark. To my eye, the first letter seems to be a T, and the last two are A and N. So on your behalf I searched through the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on backmarks, looking through all the T in Philadelphia backmarks. No match found. Also looked through the various manufacturers' "die lists" in the back of the book. Again no match.

BTW, the backmark being written in plain-block letters indicates it was made in the 1890s or later. Prior to then, nearly all button backmarks were written in serifed lettering.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This might help some, same button but different back...I think

Upvote 3
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The emblem on your button's front represents the Union Traction Company, which operated "electric railway' streetcars.

I can't help you much with the backmark. To my eye, the first letter seems to be a T, and the last two are A and N. So on your behalf I searched through the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on backmarks, looking through all the T in Philadelphia backmarks. No match found. Also looked through the various manufacturers' "die lists" in the back of the book. Again no match.

BTW, the backmark being written in plain-block letters indicates it was made in the 1890s or later. Prior to then, nearly all button backmarks were written in serifed lettering.
Thank you so much for this! Mystery Solved!
(Creskol I looked at the Union Transportation Company, and the logo is similar but I think this one is from that Union Traction Company).

Now if only I could learn how it came to be in southern Delaware! (I know the landowner where I found it, so I plan to see if he knows the provenance when I see him next).

Thank you All!

- Brian

Upvote 4

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you so much for this! Mystery Solved!
(Creskol I looked at the Union Transportation Company, and the logo is similar but I think this one is from that Union Traction Company).

Now if only I could learn how it came to be in southern Delaware! (I know the landowner where I found it, so I plan to see if he knows the provenance when I see him next).

Thank you All!

- Brian
Not with that backmark. They both used the same die, so they are identical, but the backmark is unique to Union Transportation Company. The Union Transportation Company was a railroad and the Union Traction Company was streetcar/trolley. Your button is a railroad button.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Save on that cool looking button. Well Done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not with that backmark. They both used the same die, so they are identical, but the backmark is unique to Union Transportation Company. The Union Transportation Company was a railroad and the Union Traction Company was streetcar/trolley. Your button is a railroad button.
I stand corrected. Thank you for following up.
Knowing what the backmark says, I can now make out "THEO N DOAN & CO". The letters that I thought looked like counterstamped "CC" were the "D" and the "O" in Doan.
- Brian

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Creskol said:
> Not with that backmark. They both used the same die, so they are identical,
> but the backmark is unique to Union Transportation Company. The Union
> Transportation Company was a railroad and the Union Traction Company
> was streetcar/trolley. Your button is a railroad button.

Creskol, the Waterbury Button Company website shows this button in a photo and says the button's emblem represents the Union Traction Company.
But you are saying the same emblem with a Doan & Co. backmark represents the Union Transportation Co. Please point us to your info-source. I'm curious because I've never heard of a case of a different backmark changing the meaning of the 100%-identical logo on the button's front. Naturally, I tend to go with the ID provided by the button's manufacturer.

Upvote 3

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Creskol said:
> Not with that backmark. They both used the same die, so they are identical,
> but the backmark is unique to Union Transportation Company. The Union
> Transportation Company was a railroad and the Union Traction Company
> was streetcar/trolley. Your button is a railroad button.

Creskol, the Waterbury Button Company website shows this button in a photo and says the button's emblem represents the Union Traction Company.
But you are saying the same emblem with a Doan & Co. backmark represents the Union Transportation Co. Please point us to your info-source. I'm curious because I've never heard of a case of a different backmark changing the meaning of the 100%-identical logo on the button's front. Naturally, I tend to go with the ID provided by the button's manufacturer.
Here's the listing in Van Court / Transportation Uniform Buttons ---
Notice at the notation at the bottom of Bramblefind's post where it says the design was worn later by the Union Transportation Company.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread