What's new

help with a button!

shaun7

Gold Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
6,194
Reaction score
64
Golden Thread
0
Location
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
found this button ages ago, but only recently noticed some gold on it.
crusader let me into the lemmon juice thing so i cleaned it up today ;D

it has "allen &co norwich" on the back!
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0009.webp
    DSCF0009.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 217
I'm fairly sure that it's a steamship line button; however, I can't seem to find a listing for it.
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
I'm fairly sure that it's a steamship line button; however, I can't seem to find a listing for it.


i can't find it either!

but i'm no expert :-\
 
Upvote 0
Charente?

The Charente Steam Ship Co Ltd (ship managers: Thos & Jas Harrison) was established in 1871 and for much of the 20th Century was one of the United Kingdom's foremost shipowners.

top.jpg


Just a possibility. Haven't found a button pic yet...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Could it be German because of the Maltese Cross?
Scott
 
Upvote 0
AU24K said:
Could it be German because of the Maltese Cross?
Scott


German crossed my mind, but it was made in England :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
It is a cool looking button,I can't find it anywhere.Not even close.
But,I am going to keep looking.Somebody will ID it sooner or later.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
I'm fairly sure that it's a steamship line button; however, I can't seem to find a listing for it.

that would make more sence than I could make of it. Never had one & it would make it a nice interesting piece of history :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
note ---LOOK AT THE POST BY D C MATT ----the english line above CHARENTE LTD * had a "maltese cross" on its company "flag" :wink:

the "gold" is called gilt and is like plating . and can be easily damaged so handle with care. --nice old english steamship line button is my best guess.
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
note ---LOOK AT THE POST BY D C MATT ----the english line above CHARENTE LTD * had a "maltese cross" on its company "flag" :wink:

the "gold" is called gilt and is like plating . and can be easily damaged so handle with care. --nice old english steamship line button is my best guess.
:wink: your talking to a pro gilter :D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
ivan salis said:
note ---LOOK AT THE POST BY D C MATT ----the english line above CHARENTE LTD * had a "maltese cross" on its company "flag" :wink:

the "gold" is called gilt and is like plating . and can be easily damaged so handle with care. --nice old english steamship line button is my best guess.
:wink: your talking to a pro gilter :D


gilder ::)
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
ivan salis said:
note ---LOOK AT THE POST BY D C MATT ----the english line above CHARENTE LTD * had a "maltese cross" on its company "flag" :wink:

the "gold" is called gilt and is like plating . and can be easily damaged so handle with care. --nice old english steamship line button is my best guess.
:wink: your talking to a pro gilter :D


gilder ::)

see, he even knows the terminology :D :D :D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
ivan salis said:
note ---LOOK AT THE POST BY D C MATT ----the english line above CHARENTE LTD * had a "maltese cross" on its company "flag" :wink:

the "gold" is called gilt and is like plating . and can be easily damaged so handle with care. --nice old english steamship line button is my best guess.
:wink: your talking to a pro gilter :D


gilder ::)

see, he even knows the terminology :D :D :D



and everything! ;D
 
Upvote 0
sorry he didn't say gilt so I thought I would say so -- being a gilder --I would have thought for sure he would have used the word "gilt" -- oh well whatever ---the shiney button stuff :wink: ;D :D ;D
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
sorry he didn't say gilt so I thought I would say so -- being a gilder --I would have thought for sure he would have used the word "gilt" -- oh well whatever ---the shiney button stuff :wink: ;D :D ;D


ok, so it wasn,t me who gilded the lamps at the tower of london, or the gates and lamps at banqueting house :tard: :tard:
 
Upvote 0
Nice gilded/gilted button there gilder. :wink:
Randy
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom