Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok. First the back story.

In the early to mid 1970's University of Maryland Medical Center was undergoing a major expansion. The perimeter of the work zone had plywood walls built around it to keep people out. The locals used the plywood as their "canvas" and painted things on the walls. The inappropriate ones were painted over by the construction workers but the others were allowed to stay.

Anyway, for almost a year, every Sunday on our weekly trip to my Grandmother's house we would pass by a particular painting that my Mother loved. She commented on it just about every time.

Then one Sunday my Mother was crushed when we passed by and there was nothing but a primered piece of plywood where her painting used to be. Every Sunday after that she would lament that her painting was gone.

Fast forward about two months... It was my parents anniversary. My Dad brought his present from his workshop in the basement. It was crudely wrapped in Sunday newspaper comic pages.

My Mother tore the paper away and she literally gasped and began to cry. My Father had arranged to get that piece of plywood from the construction foreman. My Mother cherished this painting until the day she passed. I was fortunate enough to inherit it.

Anyway, it appears the the artist's name is Valentine. I know it's a long shot but I've seen people on this site uncover amazing things. Any help would be appreciated but even if it turns out to be impossible to ID this particular artist I hope you enjoyed the story. And here is the painting. valentine.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome painting.Wish I had some info.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough research... Maybe if the artist's name was Christmas or 4th of July... :laughing7:

The name Valentine gets so many unrelated hits on internet searches. Google also seems to include 'love' in my searches.

Too much... I got nothing.

Cool painting and great story, though.

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doubter in MD

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ran into the same problems as you DC Matt. I knew it was a long shot. This particular artist probably didn't achieve fame or fortune. If they had the searches would turn up something. He/she was probably an art student or a local with artistic talent. My hope was that if I could find this artist I would share the story with him or her.

I might ask our local newspaper and see if they are interested in writing an article about it.

Upvote 0

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try the Facebook thing. Tell all your friends to share etc. tell the story. The artist may see it or someone that would know?? Long shot but just an idea.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doubter in MD

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could try the Facebook thing. Tell all your friends to share etc. tell the story. The artist may see it or someone that would know?? Long shot but just an idea.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that. It's been over 40 years but I probably need to explore as many avenues as possible.

Upvote 0

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
The picture is about 50 years old.
It came from a construction site in Baltimore, near Hopkins hospital.
The site was fenced in, with 4x8 sheets of plywood attached to the chain link.
A group of artists calling themselves The Committee For A Beautiful Baltimore came along and painted most of the plywood.
A man used to drive by each week, with his wife, taking their kids to Hopkins. His wife liked the picture and always remarked on it.
It was easily the best picture there. None of the others came close.
One day, the man noticed the project was almost finished. The very next Saturday, he put a finger to his lips, "Shhh!" he said to his
son, "come with me"
He drove to the construction site, and started asking around. Each person they talked to was helpful and willing, but also referred them to
someone higher up. They finally talked to the project boss, who gave them the painting. Everyone they talked to was very helpful and eager
to help. The site boss even assigned a couple of workers who removed the whole sheet of plywood and loaded it in their VW Microbus.
They took it home, where the man went to his neighbors house to get his help. They unloaded the whole thing, snuck it into the garage,
where they cut the painting free, and put a frame on it.
Then they headed back to the house. "Shhh!" Said the man again, to his child.
The man presented the painting to his Goodlady wife on their anniversary. She was thrilled.
This was in the 1960's
Nothing has been learned of the artist since then.
But, that is the provenance, if anyone remembers an artist named Valentine in Baltimore in the 60's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread