Help with bead id....

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still on my usual spot, thanks to the rains, I found this today, never found one like it in my area!!! Any info from you experts??? It may not be nothing special but I was so excited to find a different style of bead! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456529997.853457.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456530077.702645.jpg

Upvote 0
abucooch what you found is a Dutch wound bead, I call them rattle snake beads, because some times the white makes a shape like the pattern of a snake. All of them are different because they were made by hand. Here is one for an example and if you could screen that site you may find a load of them, but be sure to use a 1/4in screen on top of a screen door screen. Some trade beads where not much larger than a very small pea. Great find:notworthy:beads and dovetail 001.JPG

Wow, those are nice monsterrack! My bead is yellow but looks just like yours, thanks for the info! I actually found it on top of the ground, as most of them I find. I have found several now that I'm addicted to my new sifter!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456537613.003168.jpg. A pic of the bead cleaned up too ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456537697.118985.jpg.

Yep. Monsterrack hit the nail on the head. Rattlesnake bead. They were very popular in the African trade, but are also found on Native American sites. Here in East Tennessee most are black with white striping, but I have found one whole one that is black and yellow like yours. My site dates from mid to late 1700's.

rattlesnake bead is a correct slang term...also refered to as a "roman" bead....it is a wire wound inlaid glass bead circa about 1750-1775 ....other key beads that will appear in that time frame are the wire wound faceted beads in blue\translucent white\amber\milky white\black...and large opalescent milky beads...possibly "donut" beads...and large translucent blue and clear beads...usually associated with dutch but others were trading as well french/english etc....but they r usually a drawn type bead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back