Help with buttons

Jenfinds4

Greenie
May 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I metal detect as well as collect buttons and coins. I have T W & W buttons I cannot identify. They are heavy weight and patterned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AB433B1D-38F0-4FCF-B16C-7D9884D2C24A.jpeg FD7A04C8-0F37-41AA-A55E-505B16EC828B.jpeg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

The backmark TW&W is for Trelon, Weldon & Weil of Paris, France. They operated under that name from 1845-1865 when they changed name to Trelon-Weldon-Weil Hartog et Marchand (TWW HM) and then to ‘Coinderoux’ in 1904.

They made military, official uniform and civilian/fashion buttons. With a bit of enhancement, I see a decorative group of symbols based around a group of rings and emblems similar to what we could call ‘clubs’ (as in the card suit) or 'trefoils'. The emblem is called a ‘trèfle’ (clover) in France. On that basis, I would think your buttons are civilian fashion buttons.

Trefle1.jpg Trefle2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jenfinds4

Greenie
May 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and additional question

Hello Red Coat,
Thank you so much for the information and for welcoming me. Your information was very helpful. I’m trying to determine if these have some value. I have six of them and they are much heavier than any other buttons I have. I can’t find any similar buttons online anywhere.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome. I honestly don't know how much you would get for them. Inevitably, military buttons tend to command higher prices and the company was a supplier to America during the Civil War (both sides, I think) so those have greater collector interest too. If the design had been in better condition then I would have thought a French collector would take your hand off... especially a set of six. In that condition, I couldn't say, but I doubt you're sitting on a fortune (my opinion only).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jenfinds4

Greenie
May 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info��. I really do appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread