Help with coil size please

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am finally getting it together somewhat with water detecting. But I do have a question that pops into the relatively empty space between my ears...... a larger coil 11 or more inches offers more coverage, but also more water resistance. A smaller coil has less coverage but should be quicker/easier to cut through the water. Do any of you have a water coil size preference related to these factors ? Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVERY machine i use for in the water hunting is the standard coil. Im not using a TINY coil out there. You will different views on a larger coil..... more personal preference much like MACHINE WEIGHT. Im looking for gold..... if i want a work out ill go to GOLD GYM. In the water it can be more difficult to PP.... because a lot of times you cant even see the coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With me it varies depending on a few factors. Where I'm hunting, what I'm looking for, and the conditions. In heavy surf, or with a big surge or undertow. a standard 10-11" or smaller coil helps. If it's nice and calm, I like a BIG coil. If it's reasonably calm and I'm looking for a lost fresh drop, I like the big coil too, for the coverage. If there's lots of big rocks, crevices, coral, etc, I use a tiny coil to get into smaller spaces.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For both my CTX 3030 (17") and Equinox 800 (15"), I prefer the larger coil for more coverage per swing (and not necessarily for more depth). A larger coil with small steps - ya don't miss much. An added bonus is that it forces you to swing the coil more slowly in and out of the water, and that is good. One exception is when the surf is up and your battling pounding waves that can make control of the coil difficult and recovering targets even more so. But I love my big coils!

Gold - 14
Silver - 16

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVERY machine i use for in the water hunting is the standard coil. Im not using a TINY coil out there. You will different views on a larger coil..... more personal preference much like MACHINE WEIGHT. Im looking for gold..... if i want a work out ill go to GOLD GYM. In the water it can be more difficult to PP.... because a lot of times you cant even see the coil.

Yes sir. That was part of my concern. I am getting slowly better with my ATP in the water. My recovery scoop numbers are way down, with a few years practice. I slide coil forward and look for signal drop, put foot a little behind that, and it's usually pretty close. After seeing the freaking garbage can lid on my Simplex, a few new questions came to mind. Thanks for you reply. I appreciate other perspectives.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With me it varies depending on a few factors. Where I'm hunting, what I'm looking for, and the conditions. In heavy surf, or with a big surge or undertow. a standard 10-11" or smaller coil helps. If it's nice and calm, I like a BIG coil. If it's reasonably calm and I'm looking for a lost fresh drop, I like the big coil too, for the coverage. If there's lots of big rocks, crevices, coral, etc, I use a tiny coil to get into smaller spaces.

Thanks. I am in fresh water lakes. Perhaps I am impatient and want to go too quickly. Ironically a larger coils water resistance will likely force me to slow down.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keen%2520digger.jpg

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't step on it,.........

huge coil.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions