Help with Eagle Button Identification

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hoping for an eagle button for awhile and finally found one today at a house built 1903 but I believe there was an earlier house there too. My eyes are starting to cross looking at different types of eagles online. It looks to be most similar to the US Army Button 1875-1902 with the raised lines on the shield but it is still not exact. My shield seems to dip down on top where most have a point on top and are a wider shield all the way down while mine V's more toward the bottom. Does anyone recognize the exact eagle?
The back looks to say Waterbury on the bottom so assuming Scovill on top. I am afraid to clean it more than I have. I used a toothpick to get some details better and wiped with my thumb a bit. It does appear to have been domed but is pushed in a bit on top which is why I'm afraid to chip away at anymore of it as some of the raised details may already be gone. Let me know if there is a way to clean it anymore or anything I should do to preserve it.
My photos show the stages of cleaning. The first photo is a bit disorienting as I had to screenshot my rotated picture to get the eagle pointed the right way. My fingers are not really chopped off. :laughing7:

Attachments

• eagledirty.jpg
    eagledirty.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 47
  • eagleclean.jpg
    eagleclean.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 47
  • eaglelines.jpg
    eaglelines.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 58
  • eagleback.jpg
    eagleback.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 37

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding an eagle button:hello2: Other Tnetters will ID & give good cleaning advice.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cannot discern a raised letter in the center of the shield on your eagle-button. Assuming it does in fact not have a letter there, your button is an 1854-74 US Army enlisted-man's uniform button. It's official name is the 1854-74 "US Army General Service" button -- meaning, it as worn by enlisted-men in all branches of the army... artillery, infantry, cavalry, etc. -- EXCEPT the Engineer Corp, which had its own distinctive "castle" emblem on its uniform buttons..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HeatherM

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info CannonballGuy! In person I can see lines on the shield versus a letter. I know it's harder to see in my photos.
What makes you say it is the older type versus the 1875-1902 version? I thought the shield looked like the younger version since it looks smaller than the older version shields?
I was using this picture to try and compare. Thank you for any insight.
US-army-button-types-IA.jpg

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HeatherN, the US Army 1854-74 eagle-button's finder, asked:
> What makes you say it is the older type versus the 1875-1902 version? I thought the shield looked like the younger version
> since it looks smaller than the older version shields?

It's not the size of the shield that matters, it's the shield's "height." We button collectors call the 1854-74 version the "raised-shield" eagle button. It's as if somebody carved a tombstone into a shield shape, and laid that slab on the eagle's chest. If you look closely at the top of the 1875-1902 shield in the Inkspot photo (or the photo attached below), you'll see "the edge of the slab." On the earlier versions of the eagle-button, the shield is not high-raised.

Attachments

• button_eagle_US-Army_Enlistedman_1875-1902_photobyRelicman.jpg
    button_eagle_US-Army_Enlistedman_1875-1902_photobyRelicman.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
HeatherM

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I think I can tell the difference. I'm thrilled it's the older version! Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread