What's new

Help with ID, not a clue...

djm of PA

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
834
Reaction score
350
Golden Thread
0
Location
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
I have been going through my pile of "junk" and tumbling some items to see if I can properly identify them. Trying to beat cabin fever as the snow falls yet again in PA :(
Anyway, this item after tumbling came out with a nice yellow glow along the edges, almost like gold. I compared it to copper and brass, neither one has this same yellow. I took a small cutter and trimmed along the edge and the yellow color continues throughout. So....what do I have here, anyone have any ideas? Also, what should I use to clean it more? I have tried soap/water and tumbled in walnut shells, neither one gives me any results. This item was found outside of an 1800's church, about 10 inches down. Thanks and sorry for the "iffy" pics, my macro setting is just not what it should be on my cam. AAA battery in pic for size reference.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3288.webp
    100_3288.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 358
  • 100_3289.webp
    100_3289.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 100_3290.webp
    100_3290.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_3291.webp
    100_3291.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 362
I'd say Definately Brass, but no Idea what
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a stepcover grooved to prevent foot from slipping, but that's just a guess? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Keep in mind the battery is a AAA: very small, about 2.25" long. Item could be a metal pistol grip, or might be a butt plate for a weapon, a pistol or smaller gun. Grooved lines would have made the plate easier to grip. Looks like it is older, just a guess more than 75 years old.
 
Upvote 0
I do not know what it is but to me it looks like the edge has been broken off a larger part. Now that is from looking at the photo and I might be seeing this wrong.
 
Upvote 0
Broken book clasp.

Book.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom