What's new

Help with ID of possible fossil

BeachComber7

Sr. Member
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
462
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on a treasure coast beach (Florida) a while back. It is lightweight, porous underneath and off white in color (as opposed to bright white). I attached several pictures for viewing. Posted in Beach and Shallow Water too in case someone knows over in that forum.

Does anyone know what this is?
 

Attachments

  • width.webp
    width.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 229
  • top side.webp
    top side.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 219
  • top.webp
    top.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 221
  • other side.webp
    other side.webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 219
  • one side.webp
    one side.webp
    11 KB · Views: 232
  • length.webp
    length.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 227
  • bottom.webp
    bottom.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 225
fossiles will be dense and dark in color. some are jet black. they will feel like stone. they stand out on a beach because they're usually the darkest colored things you see
 
oh.. your item there.. it's a very weathered piece of clam shell. I hate to use the word never but in this case I think I can. you will never find a bright white fossil
 
Yup, weathered shell probably clam.
Most fossils are also not light in weight or porous.
 
I think it's cool that you're out there looking. and you will probably enjoy it more with some success. so I'm heading this photo of fossils from a saint lucie county beach. if I'm correct that's where you are. in this area 90 percent of what you find will probably be turtle shell. but mixed in you can find some good stuff. I have found mastodon. ground sloth. horse. alligator and many others. here are a few just to give you an idea. good luck and happy hunting.

ForumRunner_20120629_215942.webp
 
Wave weathered piece of coral. OR, a piece of hardened and weathered sponge.
 
sure... I think the focus is on finding fossils.
 
Thanks everyone. Its just an odd piece.
Yes Always, there is one beach that produces more fossils than the others but lately, the tides, wind and weather has not been cooperating. I have many small pieces of fossil, mostly turtle from there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom