Help with ID please

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
I've had this posted on the NA forum and it's been suggested I try here. It was Found in a creek adjacent to a field that has produced buckets of Stone implements. In ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424138917.480606.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424138992.989631.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424139091.527298.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424139126.751702.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424139187.426008.jpg southwest ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnnyblue-
I know I posted on your thread on N.A. Artifacts, but I'm going to show you a couple shots I took of a mystery place in a pal's back yard- in Chambersburg, PA. It's assumed that the area behind their house was a mining area and they had questions- which I still haven't been able to get answers to. I assumed the spot was a kind of 'test' site for drilling/mining stone. Where I live here in VA, there are soapstone mines and they test drill a core sample out to see what they're getting into is, quality, color, etc.- similar to the hole in your piece. Take a look and tell me if you see any similarities. When I posted it on 'What is it?, I got not real answers other than it's a 'hidden treasure' site,... so.... Not to mock anyone, but I'm not going that route. Needless to say, I thought of my pics when I saw your 'thing'. Have you tried doing a scratch test- or some sort of test to see what kind of rock it is? You can look it up on line to see what you have to do- the things you'd need to do a test, if you're not familiar. Anyway- here are the pics:

1226141231.jpg 1226141231a.jpg 1226141232.jpg

You might also try looking up Native American soapstone bowls. I know it's a stretch, but if you have never seen them- or how they're made, it may... add more questions to your question... I posted a broken bowl I found down here in VA. The thread is full of pics. Here's the link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...s/439447-found-curious-thing-broken-bowl.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
Thanks for all the input. I've searched everything that's been suggested and can't find anything of merit. Although, adding soapstone as a keyword did turn up something interesting... An Icelandic stone oil lamp!! Now, I know Iceland is not exactly a stones throw away... (Pun clearly intended). But we are sitting on about 50 feet of glacial till...so... It's possible. However, I'm pretty sure it's blue limestone which is quite common in the area. There is a limestone quarry about ten miles north of the site and hueston woods state park is even closer. I would think most of the fossil collectors would be familiar with hueston woods as it's well known in the fossil community and deservedly so, it's a treasure in itself.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the carved base section of Circa 1900 tree-inspired headstone/grave marker. There could be a trashed/destroyed settler/family cemetery nearby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread