billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In two different visits to one garage sale, I found these things. Total Spent under $20.

The two views of some marbles that were in a desk drawer. Can you help tell if they are old & what they might be worth?

The bayonet was sticking out, point first, of a stack of cardboard boxes. Also some old 243 ammo in two leather belt pouches.

The old Firestone radio that lights up, but no sound, paid $3 of that $20..

The assortment of hand tools, spray lube, and set of antler steak knives were $1 each from a 2nd garage sale just across the street. Spent about $15 there.

The Victor adding machine got wet from a night rain, so the fellow said, "You can have it."

For Friday and Saturday I found 98 grams of Sterling Silver. I spent $13.

Anything you see and know about, I'd appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
the process to make the cat eyes wasnt invented until the mid 50s...the other two non cateyes might have a little age but are very common....the marbles have very little value....and are not desired by collectors....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
but the civil war era bayonet is a good catch and the silver makes a good penny as "resale" if its sterling

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds Bill. What are the marks on the bracelet clasp? I see what looks like a signature.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but the civil war era bayonet is a good catch and the silver makes a good penny as "resale" if its sterling

Why do you think the bayonet is civil war?? Without measuring the inner diameter of the socket it is impossible to tell it's age or what gun it was used on. It looks more like an 1870s-1890s bayonet for a trapdoor Springfield rifle from the markings and dimentions.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think the bayonet is civil war?? Without measuring the inner diameter of the socket it is impossible to tell it's age or what gun it was used on. It looks more like an 1870s-1890s bayonet for a trapdoor Springfield rifle from the markings and dimentions.

Here are some added pics so you can get better visual details: I used the info to base what it is when I did a " quick and shallow" search and stopped when I found this:

2 Civil War U s Marked Bayonet with Band | eBay

Diggummup

The silver is all stamped either .925 or Sterling. I look very hard for those markings so I don't waste dollars and to make it stretch as far as possible... The markings on the flat bracelet shows 1/20 12kt Gold Filled, as does the rope. From this newly revised website that helps calculate the various gold filled ratios, I get a total worth if the flat and rope as being about $25-$30.
Precious Metal Calculator from Dendritics (Updated Version)

Thanks for the help and asking for details so you can help better!

Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay, here's a second shot at those additional pics.. :icon_scratch:
Excuse the dirty tile, it's from my hands because of cleaning up that old bakelite case Firestone radio... My best rough measurements are: Front end where end of barrel stops: 23/32 and back end tapers out to 25/32.

Diggummup, I also got these pins at the sale that had the bayonet. Know anything about them?

Thanks

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Duffy. Other than I keep losing a few as time goes on, I don't know much about marbles.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At about 3/4 inch ID on the socket the bayonet is of civil war era vintage. Nice garage saling!!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At about 3/4 inch ID on the socket the bayonet is of civil war era vintage. Nice garage saling!!

Thanks for the questions and help.

What would you do to it to keep the rust down but not degrade its worth? I'm not into firearms, just looking for a No. 1 Stanley hand plane. Is the Ebay listing about right for both the one sold and the one I found in condition and price?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread