OP
OP
grimroofer

grimroofer

Dec 14, 2007
kihei maui
Detector(s) used
xlt- surf master - tiger shark-sand shark
odd find for maui were they military i find some wierd stuff here the oldest was 1776 Spanish coin thanks for the help

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert, but it looks like a patchbullet, maybe 50 or 58 cal. I have seen alot of them, and it sure looks blackpowder to me. Those ridges at the rear...seen them alot in the balls made for the larger cal blackpower patch bullets such as those used mid civil war. And could easily be found almost anywhere where the military has been. Or civilian for that matter. Those were typical of the heavy cal bullets for the rifled barrels.
I used to have an old mold for just that type of bullet. It disapeared years ago in one of my moves. It was a mold made back in the 1800's. My grandfather had it since he was a young man, and he gave it to me and I had it till it disappeared.
Thats a nice find and one that is likely rare for your area even though its been settled for several hundred years by men with firearms. No major battles there with the older weapons such as on the mainland, at least none that I am familar with. I dont know the history over there that well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread