What's new

Help with structure in the woods !!!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
1,021
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering if anyong had any ideas on these two structures I came across in the woods. They are about 10-12 ft across and 35-40 ft long. There was a mill in the area and I was thinking maybe they were used for storage of some sort. The walls are made of stone and concrete of some sort. There isn't any boards in the area, so I don't know if this a the foundation for something or what. Across a dirt road from them is a very old uncapped well and a short distance away there a some old bricks strewn about the ground. I didn't have enough sunlight today to do a good detection of the area, but I'll go back soon.
Also does anyone know what the heavy metal object in the last picture might be? 8- 10 inches across, no hole in the middle Thanks Blind Squirrel
 

Attachments

  • Possible Mill 001 (700x525).webp
    Possible Mill 001 (700x525).webp
    147.4 KB · Views: 421
  • Possible Mill 003 (700x525).webp
    Possible Mill 003 (700x525).webp
    164.4 KB · Views: 424
  • Possible Mill 007 (700x525).webp
    Possible Mill 007 (700x525).webp
    90.5 KB · Views: 426
  • Possible Mill 008 (700x525).webp
    Possible Mill 008 (700x525).webp
    129.1 KB · Views: 408
I don't know what they are for but they look interesting. I would spend a lot of time there and expect a lot of iron.
 
Suggestions:
1.Check out old maps of the area ; maybe the structures are shown and noted as ??
2. Have a chat with your local historian.
3. Use Google Earth for a different type of view of the site; maybe you'll see more in the area.
Don....
 
Probably a foundation for a single- or double-wide trailer
 
Nice quartz rock there! You are in the heart of the gold belt being there in Charlotte, I would pay close attention to any outcropping of rocks and swing the detector over them, especially those that have quartz viens running through them. There is still alot of undiscovered gold there.
 
maybe storage buildings. it looks like the main walls would sit on top the foundation walls
 
I have no idea, but good suggestions from others so far. Those are some nice pictures (what camera are you using?)

Is that chunk of quartz actually on/imbedded in one of the concrete "walls"?

Looks like a virgin site! Hope it turns out to have been a storehouse for gold coins :wink:
 
Whatever the foundation is from, people built it, probably sat around somewhere on the ground, maybe dropped some change. Check real good along the foundation as it looks high enough to be a good back rest while sitting.

The object looks like it could probably be a cutting blade from an old gas powered brick/concrete saw. I used an old one once that used pressure, not a center screw to hold the blade in place. That way if it bound up, the blade stopped, not the motor.

Al
 
Looks like a decent spot to spend the day imo. I'd dig all signals if it were me and pay special attention to those old oak trees - regardless, there was human activity and where you have that, people drop things.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom