desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I received my detector yesterday, and got it all put together for this mornings test on a pile of what I call micro pea gravel (less than 1/8 inch). For the most part it didn't react on the majority of it, but it sounded off on some that I could not see any gold or iron in it. And it occasionally told me there was gold in mid air. I'm a bit confused why it is telling me I hit a target when after I've found the little piece of rock, there isn't anything recognizable when looked at through a 10X loupe. I even dipped these in water to see if something would show, and nothing.

The instructions for assembly were straight forward. But for operation, there's not much, just what the buttons do.

I tested it on known gold, and it did sound off on a flake weighing .013 gram.

Anyone tell me why it gives false readings.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I received my detector yesterday, and got it all put together for this mornings test on a pile of what I call micro pea gravel (less than 1/8 inch). For the most part it didn't react on the majority of it, but it sounded off on some that I could not see any gold or iron in it. And it occasionally told me there was gold in mid air. I'm a bit confused why it is telling me I hit a target when after I've found the little piece of rock, there isn't anything recognizable when looked at through a 10X loupe. I even dipped these in water to see if something would show, and nothing.

The instructions for assembly were straight forward. But for operation, there's not much, just what the buttons do.

I tested it on known gold, and it did sound off on a flake weighing .013 gram.

Anyone tell me why it gives false readings.
well that is the GM 1000, the GM1000 is a highly sensitive gold detector 45 KHz, and if you are on hot ground it will sound of on a lot of things.

what you are most likely hearing and the GM1000 is seeing is probably a hot rock
did you perform the ground balance with the GM1000 (and yes you have to ground balance the GM1000)

I would highly suggest you go to bill southerns site nuggetshooters also his you tube channel he knows the GM1000 inside and out, the GM1000 is a great detector for a gold VLF detector and you are correct there is not much in the way of set up, and the manual for the GM1000 is useless as it is only a little flyer that tells you how to put it together LOL.

the things I did not care for was the no threshold, and lack of adjustments, you can balance out a lot of the hot rocks without loosing the gold targets, the other thing I did not care for with the GM1000 is every time you lay it down you ave to re ground balance, if you pick the coil up to high you have to re ground balance it got real old quick for me

the other thing wit signaling gold in the air I never experienced that with the GM 1000, when you first turn the GM1000 on hold the coil in the air while it is booting up to give it a chance to do the frequency shift otherwise you will get all kinds of signals

here is Bill Southerns site

also look up his YouTube channel, he has several video's up using the GM1000

here is Bill Southerns you tube channel

here is one of his videos on he GM1000

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you replied, as the things I heard were that this machine automatically ground balanced. Totally wrong, based on the video I just watched.

The video was from Nugget Shooter. The machine does balance automatically, but you need to pump it up and down, until the machine quiets down. And you need to do this whenever ground conditions change.

I now think this is one reason why most of our clubs detectorists have little luck on the claim. They don't ground balance frequently. The ground on our claim is quite varied.

At least I know what to do now. I also know to reduce the gain out of the automatic mode. And you long press the coil button to do that ground balance. From what I can tell, the machine gives one beep when balanced.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad you replied, as the things I heard were that this machine automatically ground balanced. Totally wrong, based on the video I just watched.

The video was from Nugget Shooter. The machine does balance automatically, but you need to pump it up and down, until the machine quiets down. And you need to do this whenever ground conditions change.

I now think this is one reason why most of our clubs detectorists have little luck on the claim. They don't ground balance frequently. The ground on our claim is quite varied.

At least I know what to do now. I also know to reduce the gain out of the automatic mode. And you long press the coil button to do that ground balance. From what I can tell, the machine gives one beep when balanced.
yep all the reasons you just stated is why I got rid of the GM1000, it was a good detector but you had to stay on top of the ground balance constantly and be aware when you set it down you have to re ground balance if you pick the coil up to high you have to re ground balance the thing drove me nuts, the falling over when you go to retrieve a target was another issue it got old in a hurry

I have since moved on to the Garrets 24 K it has way more adjustments and a threshold sound that works

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OldKoot, You might be able to afford getting a new detector, but I'm pretty much stuck with this one for years to come. I had my Time Ranger for nearly 20 years, but I never got it to work properly on the gold setting. The Time Ranger is a very good coin and relic machine though. I just used the Monster this once this morning, so I still need to work with it, to get used to it.

I've been detecting for stuff since the mid 70's. I started when I was stationed in Aviano, Italy, with a Whites. Still wish I had that detector. It was simple to use.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OldKoot, You might be able to afford getting a new detector, but I'm pretty much stuck with this one for years to come. I had my Time Ranger for nearly 20 years, but I never got it to work properly on the gold setting. The Time Ranger is a very good coin and relic machine though. I just used the Monster this once this morning, so I still need to work with it, to get used to it.

I've been detecting for stuff since the mid 70's. I started when I was stationed in Aviano, Italy, with a Whites. Still wish I had that detector. It was simple to use.
Well I was not telling you to go out and purchase a different detector, I was simply stating the things I did not care for with the GM1000, and do not take me wrong the GM1000 is a vary vary capable gold detector once you learn it, I found many a good find with mine, even used it to detect for coins even though it is not a coin detector it will find coins, almost all clad U.S coins will ring up on the gold chance meter as gold believe it or not on the GM 1000, you just have to decide if you are going to dig those targets that come up on the gold chance side in other words the GM1000 is a beep and dig detector, was not trying to put you down in any way and if you took it that way I apologize was just trying to give you answers to your questions you posed

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OldKoot, Great video. Now I know why someone said you need to rebalance after you set the detector on the ground. The processor is GBing when sitting, so it's not set for the ground anywhere but where it sat when on the ground.

I guess re-GBing frequently is a small price of your time for having a sensitive detector.

Jan 3, 2024
My friend, the gold monster is easy to use, just turn it on, leave the coil tilted upwards and wait 10 seconds, then look at the panel and see if the bar is all filled so it will stay on automatically, then perform the ground swing downwards and upwards until the device stops. Now you can pass the device.

In the case of mineralized soil, hot rocks, places that have a lot of rock iron, the best setting is to leave it on automatic, this way it deals better with mineralized soil and you won't have a headache when using the device and digging fake signal.

Now, if you are using the device in a place that does not have normal soil mineralization, you can use the device in the automatic module, lowering 2 sticks and then it will work at full power and go deeper.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just won a GM 1000 and trying to learn it. I think it is a great companion to my nox 800.

It seems stupid simple to use (although I haven't yet)
- turn on while pointing mid air, hold for about 10 seconds
- GB
- start detecting and give a few GB pumps every now and then
- if you get a signal GB again to confirm a good target and then dig

Jan 3, 2024
I just won a GM 1000 and trying to learn it. I think it is a great companion to my nox 800.

It seems stupid simple to use (although I haven't yet)
- turn on while pointing mid air, hold for about 10 seconds
- GB
- start detecting and give a few GB pumps every now and then
- if you get a signal GB again to confirm a good target and then dig
There's no mystery, first turn on the device, hold the stop to the side so it cancels the noise, then leave all the boxes filled in the automatic module, just rock the floor up and down, as soon as the device becomes quiet, all you need to do is detect and that's it. It has an automatic module and is better for dealing with mineralized soil. Always use a small knife to pick up the object so it doesn't interfere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread