Help with this medal???

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this today on a construction site that dates back to the 1500's. We have dug items from as far back as the early 1800's. I finally got this cleaned enough to see a ship and looks like maybe an 89 something above the ship, but I'm not 100% sure since its not centered and very hard to make out. Nothing on the back. Hoping someone can tell me what this is and age. Thanks

Ship1.jpg Ship2.jpg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any way you can get a closer pic of the ship? might just be the toning of the back, but almost looks like the back has a swooping scroll design running up and down on the left hand side. those designs are commonly on 'if found return to:' tags. either way some closer pics will help ID it

Upvote 0

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 funnel Dreadnought battleship (maybe pre-Dreadnought) would make it 1890's - 1905 era. Might be a US ship, but other countries had similiar battleship designs back then.

Could be a Great White Fleet commemorative medallion from 1908

Attachments

• gwf-1908.jpg
    gwf-1908.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about the best I could do without it being out of focus. I will see if maybe some better lighting will help

Upvote 0

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
3 funnel Dreadnought battleship (maybe pre-Dreadnought) would make it 1890's - 1905 era. Might be a US ship, but other countries had similiar battleship designs back then.

Could be a Great White Fleet commemorative medallion from 1908

I've found several 3-funnel US battleships from the 1905-1920 period, but none of which have the elevated bow shown on the medallion/medal. I'm thinking perhaps British from the same or just slightly earlier period?

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I took the liberty of brightening the picture and also enlarging it, hope you don't mind. It does look like a WW! war ship.

1AA.jpg
1AAC.jpg

Upvote 0

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Took another look, I'd say that it's a US battleship, Connecticut class, part of the Great White Fleet as Deepsecrets mentioned previously. Can't really make out the main batteries which would help positively ID it, but the general lines as well as the funnels and masts seem to match the Connecticut, Louisiana, Vermont, Kansas, or Minnesota. I'm thinking the elevated bow on the medallion is exaggerated and that threw me off trying to identify the ship or at least class.

Upvote 0

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Can you make out any details on the reverse side of the medal? Different medals were made to depict the arrival of the GWF to different cities and/or countries. The ship appears to be the same on most of them, but the reverse side shows different people depending on the destination.

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this one on the net. looks to be the same medallion, and is attributed to the battleship Maine. makes sense, seeing as how there was a huge patriotic outcry after the loss of the Maine. Lots of pins, ribbons, and medallions were put out. Battleship Maine Pictured

Upvote 0

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this one on the net. looks to be the same medallion, and is attributed to the battleship Maine. makes sense, seeing as how there was a huge patriotic outcry after the loss of the Maine. Lots of pins, ribbons, and medallions were put out. Battleship Maine Pictured

Could be.. the USS Maine that blew up in Havana was a two funnel battleship. Her replacement had 3 funnels.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread