Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone
I am just now starting to get into detecting and was wanting to know if anyone had any suggestions on where the best hunting spots are. I am using my dads old tesoro right now until I get my own Tesoro Silver uMax for my birthday. Right now I'd say I've been out for a total of like 5 hours in my own yard, but to no avail. I have only found an old buckle of some kind and some .22 casings and some melted aluminum so nothing good. But i did find a bracket of somekind and a .22 bullet..pretty much my best finds so far.

All help is appreciated.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Welcome!

There should be some good detecting down there around Beckley and its surrounds. Go to the libraries in your area and check out the old maps and local histories. Old county maps show all the homesites and schools and churches. Talk to older folks and ask them where things like swimming holes, picnic spots, camp meeting sites, etc. were located. Ask about old fairgrounds and baseball fields.

Make sure you get permission on private property. Sounds like you are learning how to dig things up already. There is a lot more junk in the ground than good stuff, so have patience. Place different objects on and in the ground to get an idea of the sounds they make. Don't use too much discrimination. Fill in your holes and remove the trash you find. Work an area slowly! It doesn't pay to go fast just to get to the next spot.

Most of all, just have fun! If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!......HH

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
A good easy place to start are the tot lots, volleyball courts, and playgrounds. The items are in sand or woodchips so the digging is easy and the yield is sometimes pretty good.

Have fun.

Daryl

OP
OP
Shady Digger

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a bunch guys. My dad has been detecting for a long time and his metal detector isnt even made anymore. He has found alot of very good civil war relics. He even found some Beckley Fire Creek Coal Co. scrip right off of airport road in Beaver. He found an old Gillette safety razor in his front yard in Beaver in the 70s. But he has stopped because his truck needs to be legalized before he can drive it and we haven't found a place to go.I will try to hit some playgrounds and parks if I can. I will talk to him and see when we can go.

Once again thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't despair. My own yard is slim pickens, too.

First rule of thumb is to ask permission first, but you can try:

School yards, playgrounds, town parks, library grounds (ask inside), fairgrounds, fishing spots, boat ramps, edges of parking lots, old foundation holes . . .

Anywhere someone might have occasion to reach into they pockets or exchange coins for goods and services.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread