What's new

Henning Nickel

rginn

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
9,220
Reaction score
13,582
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summit County, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this about 40 years ago and the only reference I could find was one coin book I had listed it, 1944 no mint mark--counterfeit. So the other day I was reading an article about treasure tales in of all places, New Jersey, and all my questions were answered. In 1954 a guy named Francis Leroy Henning, who had been busted for counterfeit $5 bills, decided to counterfeit nickels so as not to attract too much attention. He would pose as a vending machine operator and take them in rolls to banks to swap for bills. Probably about 100,000 of them reached circulation and Henning dumped about 400,000 just before he was caught. The feds recovered about 14,000 of these. Not worth a whole lot but kinda cool. Sorry about the pic quality but I'm still figurin out my macro lens. You can get the idea though. The mint mark is missing and it has the looped R in 'pluribus' on the reverse. And hopefully the Secret Service doesn't decide to make an example of me for a fake nickel.
 

Attachments

  • 9-29y.webp
    9-29y.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 9-29z.webp
    9-29z.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 251
It's worth about $50, and is about 79.1% Copper, 20.5% Nickel, 0.4% Iron.
 
thanks for the history lesson! very cool
 
Amazing coin!
 
Awesome find! I too read the same story a few times. Cool!
 
I found this about 40 years ago and the only reference I could find was one coin book I had listed it, 1944 no mint mark--counterfeit. So the other day I was reading an article about treasure tales in of all places, New Jersey, and all my questions were answered. In 1954 a guy named Francis Leroy Henning, who had been busted for counterfeit $5 bills, decided to counterfeit nickels so as not to attract too much attention. He would pose as a vending machine operator and take them in rolls to banks to swap for bills. Probably about 100,000 of them reached circulation and Henning dumped about 400,000 just before he was caught. The feds recovered about 14,000 of these. Not worth a whole lot but kinda cool. Sorry about the pic quality but I'm still figurin out my macro lens. You can get the idea though. The mint mark is missing and it has the looped R in 'pluribus' on the reverse. And hopefully the Secret Service doesn't decide to make an example of me for a fake nickel.
.

Awesome find great story too. Yeah they might confiscate that nickel to help pay for Obama care lol
 
.

Awesome find great story too. Yeah they might confiscate that nickel to help pay for Obama care lol

I'd rather have "Obamacare" than Republicans not care!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Wow....even this post got Political..lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom