What's new

Heracles or Apollo?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
5,161
Reaction score
605
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Hello friends ..... a rainy day but today and found the best treasure of my life, a Hellenistic sculpture of 400-300 BC.
I found a pre-Roman city unknown, is of Greek origin but I'm not sure if this is the God Hercules or Apollo.
A greeting!
 

Attachments

  • PIC_3937.webp
    PIC_3937.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 3,625
  • PIC_3942.webp
    PIC_3942.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 3,594
  • PIC_3948.webp
    PIC_3948.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,567
  • PIC_3955.webp
    PIC_3955.webp
    62 KB · Views: 3,584
  • PIC_3950.webp
    PIC_3950.webp
    60 KB · Views: 3,555
  • PIC_3999.webp
    PIC_3999.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 3,565
  • PIC_3998.webp
    PIC_3998.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 3,540
Upvote 4
This find has blown my mind..wow! I never knew they put private parts on sculptures way back then...
 
:notworthy:
:notworthy: :notworthy:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Congratulations fantastic find !
Great treasure.
TnMtns
 
rtde3 said:
This has to be one of the coolest finds I have ever seen!
Big congrats! :notworthy:

Yes, I have to agree. That is a find of many lifetimes. WOW... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY
 
Amazing find in amazing condition!!
 
Spectacular find. Are you going to be able to detect the spot more or is it going to be overtaken by the government?
 
Unbelievable! Congrats on finding such an amazing antiquity. :thumbsup:
Dave.
 
Wow, That is amazing. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

I wonder if there is a chance that the feet may be near by. The area looks like a nice place to take your time searching.
 
best thing i have seen found metal detecting :icon_thumleft:
 
Are you going to turn this in as a National Historic Treasure ?

It will be sad if this were to be lost or sold or placed in a garage where no one else
could enjoy it.

This is really not the type of thing that should remain in a private metal detectors collection.
But it is indeed an incredible find.
 
TORRERO said:
Are you going to turn this in as a National Historic Treasure ?

It will be sad if this were to be lost or sold or placed in a garage where no one else
could enjoy it.

This is really not the type of thing that should remain in a private metal detectors collection.
But it is indeed an incredible find.

It's in cyberspace forever. OK, It's his best find ever. I'm sure HE will enjoy it for many years. If it was'nt for him, maybe no one would have ever found it.

Great find!
Newt
 
CONSTANTINVS said:
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Hello friends ..... a rainy day but today and found the best treasure of my life, a Hellenistic sculpture of 400-300 BC.
I found a pre-Roman city unknown, is of Greek origin but I'm not sure if this is the God Hercules or Apollo.
A greeting!

Great find, wasnt Persia getting their butts kicked around that time by the Spartans not far away?
 
Well, what would one want to say other than, WOW!...

Coins are cute, but that is beyond WOW!

Best darn hobby in the world!!!
 
I will go with Apollo. What an awesome find!!! There has to be more finds in the area. HH, Mike
 
Cool find, but I have one question:

How does one conclude that they have located a previously unknown Pre-Roman city based on a few finds? Not trying to be a smarta$$, just curious. What are the laws pertaining to locating "new" ancient cities?
 
Unbelievable!

Hercules with lion's pelt and club, I say.

DCMatt
 
Congrats on a great find and a well deserved spot on the banner!
 
Thank you very much .... I was working and could not answer ..... and a broad way, I apologize, first of all say that the sculpture appeared on some farmland at this time for cows to graze in summer and wheat in the chemical fertilizer plant waste abrasiveness of the cows had broken bronze figure of about 20 years ..... thank my MXT, grandchildren, our area can admire the sculptures in the Archaeological Museum in my hometown where I assure you that when the day should be over exposed. These finds are not common, is a miracle to find a figure as old, so far from Greece, almost complete and so beautiful.
Yours a friend!
 

Attachments

  • PIC_3953.webp
    PIC_3953.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,542

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom