What's new

Heres a first. Lets hope its a last.

Nathanonline

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
71
Reaction score
299
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a first. Let's hope it's a last.

I was hunting the beach at low tide and I got a half dollar sized target that rang up very clean. My heart is racing, but then, huh?

You truly learn something every time you hunt, today I learned that there are crematory ID tags. As interesting as this one is, I prefer coins and jewelry thank you.

image.webp
 
Upvote 20
A very interesting find indeed!
 
It would be nice to return that
 
A most unusual find. Looks like a "Toe Tag" from the crematory. I wonder how it got out of their hands ?
 
I'm wondering if they didn't go to spread the ashes of a loved one (it's a scenic beach) and the tag was inside?
 
Those ID tags come with all human and pet cremations. Sometimes people don't check the urns or boxes the ashes come in for the tags, so when spreading the ashes into the ocean the tags will inadvertently get dropped into the water as well. Or sometimes the people just want the tag to accompany the ashes so they intentionally toss it.

I have a friend who finds those on occasion. What he does is he takes a piece of stainless steel wire and attaches a rather heavy fishing weight to the tag. He then goes to an area where there are cliffs and no nearby beach access and he throws the tags back into the ocean.
 
Those ID tags come with all human and pet cremations. Or sometimes the people just want the tag to accompany the ashes so they intentionally toss it.

I have a friend who finds those on occasion. What he does is he takes a piece of stainless steel wire and attaches a rather heavy fishing weight to the tag. He then goes to an area where there are cliffs and no nearby beach access and he throws the tags back into the ocean.

I found one by eye on a low tidal flat in R.I. I did return it to a nicer spot after I eventually figured the family wanted it at the ocean. I'll bet you return it at some point.
 
well ahes have to be IDible cuz once your cooked they all look alike ..so each body gets a tag ..when the body goes in they remove toe tag and burn it ..when the ashes are removed the bag the ashes are placed in get the tag attached to it ....when folks take their loved ones ashes to the beach to dump them in the sea the tag goes into the ocean often when the bags are ripped open
 
Sjvalleyhunter that is a great idea I hadn't considered. Personally I would be hesitant to track down the family because like you said they may have intended to leave it there. Lord knows I have plenty of lead sinkers, this one will make it back to the beach.
 
you can find out who it was --you have the "number" and the place that burned the body ...so you could track down exactly who's ashes it went to ...but most likely the family wanted it as well as their loved ones ashes to go into the sea ...so if it were me that exactly where it would go back to weighted and thrown as far out as possible
 
bad very bad ... but very punny
 
Found one at the beach one time, called the cemetery that was on the tag and basically was treated like a piece of snot. "Well you can drop it off if you please" click. Sort of sad that they really didn't want to be bothered as it would an extra non paying endeavour in their high grossing incomes.
 
Kinda creepy......:o
 
as it was found , I think it was a "un urned" find -
 
Eyeballed a brass one dated 1947 while digging in a neighbor's garden when I was 6. I also clearly remember seeing many pea sized chunks of bone in the dirt.
 
it would be my guess that the people do not want it returned.. they spread the ashes for a reason
 
I found one a couple of years ago as well. Walked out to the end of the pier the next day and returned it from where it came.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom