Here’s a question

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is your answer. If you bought the land you own everything that came with it. Why would you claim it on your taxes. What would you do if you discovered a gold mine underneath it....would you tell the world?

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only if the land is worthless. You would still own the land witch would be a asset.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all know that I am going jump all over this one. Why are you asking us? Ask your CPA. Now, go out and find that gold.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You all know that I am going jump all over this one. Why are you asking us? Ask your CPA. Now, go out and find that gold.

I can’t afford to pay someone to do my taxes for me, every year I put my w-2’s in an envelope and mail them off to the IRS and let them figure it out. That being said, I’m not gonna pay a CPA to answer a hypothetical question.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you bought it and all it contains --so its yours all 30,000 of it ….now how much of your good fortune you wish to bestow upon the federal , state and local govts is up to you , how much do you need to blab and brag ?

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Treasure_Hunter said, you will owe current year income taxes on the $30k you found. The cost of the land is irrelevant. You MAY be able to deduct your hunting expenses for that tax year if you save receipts.

Hypothetically, of course.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread