Heritage district

Klick

Jan 18, 2006
Irving Texas
I have permission to hunt on some property in the heritage district. I was told the house was built in the 20's. I went there tonight after work - but I only have about 20 mins before it starts to get dark. I was just checking out the area to see what kind of hits i was getting and take pictures to post later. Looks to me like somebody has hunted this site within the last few days since there are allot of 1 to 2 inch holes they didn't fill in very good. Hopefully its squirrels or something.? The ground is soft and sandy. The guy told me that he has found broken mason jars near a tree.

I got a strong signal under that tree. About 6" down I removed a mason jar lid ring and 1 small piece of glass. Rechecking the hole I got a faint chirp and no reading on my Garrett 500. My guess its more then 12" further down. Probably its the disk that covers the jar but I'm gonna dig it anyway later.

My question is if this jar was intact when discarded or buried could tree roots break it while they grow? How about just ground pressure? Its amazing to me how stuff like that gets in the dirt over the years without somebody picking it up and throwing it in the trash. I don't think their was a burning barrel there since its the largest tree in the area. Then again that tree may only be 50 years old.

I was hoping to get a coin tonight to date the area a little bit and I did pull a 1928 penny before it got dark.

This is my first expedition and I'm really excited.

thanks for reading
Klick

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Klick,

your amazement over someone not putting it in the trash;? the location your working
could have been where the trash was put.

Tree roots will do a job on a bottle, ever see the weed coming up in an old sidewalk??
Think what a big old tree root could do.

Your site sounds interesting. Hope you dig a bunch; not going to be easy under a
big old tree. Make sure you have equipment, I usually carry a small root cutter or
small saw, gets messy.

have a good un.............

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome and congrat's on the 28',I guess over time a tree root could possibly break a jar.HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread