What's new

Hey Breezie...whats this?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Breezie...what's this?

I have found many of these exact items in several different locations. I don't think that it's furniture hardware as all that I have found are identical and from many different areas.

I saw that you (Breezie) have posted one in your display case...any idea?
 

Attachments

  • whatsit.webp
    whatsit.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 456
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Romeo, VERY NICE collection! I never got a positive ID on mine, which was found in a CW camp that only produced CW items. It was a very wooded, desolate area. The general consensus in TNet was between a bridle rosette and furniture hardware. I really didn't think it was furniture related because the hole is so small, it would have been on a very tiny box. I'm not sure what yours is either. :dontknow: Does it have 4 holes or only 3? Below is a pic of the item I 'think' to which you are referring, if not, let me know, and I'll go back through my pics. In this pic, the broken piece is showing the back, but the front of it is embossed like the larger piece. Breezie

PS: Thanks for your vote of confidence; hopefully someone will recognize it.
 

Attachments

  • October 9 014.webp
    October 9 014.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Breezie's is a William and Mary teardrop drawer pull back plate.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Lucas said:
Breezie's is a William and Mary teardrop drawer pull back plate.
I agree.
This one is from a ca. 1920 piece of furniture.
drop handle.small.web.webp
The hole is 7mm square.

I don't know about romeo-1's piece :icon_scratch: Maybe some close up pics will help.

Mike
 

Attachments

  • drop handle.small.web.webp
    drop handle.small.web.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

... only Breezie's looks like the original, not the revival... ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Lucas said:
Breezie's is a William and Mary teardrop drawer pull back plate.

Lucas, it looks llike one, but I don't think it is. The whole piece is not but about an inch wide. It would have to be for William & Mary Midget. LOL :laughing7: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

I realise this topic has wavered from the original purpose somewhat, but I still think Lucas is correct on Breezie's plate.
Here's my teardrop drawer pull, in situ
Dresser drawer pull.webp

The back plate is 1 and 1/4 inch square.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

My piece has two holes as if it was meant to be tacked to something. It is this brass unlike Breezie's piece and is not embossed. I'll see if I can post a couple closer pics...
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Hey Rome I have somthing similar to what you have. A little different but could have been used for the same thing. :dontknow: I think I dug 7 of them in about a ten foot area, always thought they went on a piece of furniture, but Im not positive of that.
 

Attachments

  • b.webp
    b.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 360
  • A.webp
    A.webp
    20 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Breezie said:
Lucas said:
Breezie's is a William and Mary teardrop drawer pull back plate.

Lucas, it looks llike one, but I don't think it is. The whole piece is not but about an inch wide. It would have to be for William & Mary Midget. LOL :laughing7: Breezie

Small drawers. :tongue3:

I have no doubts about what it is. The stamped decoration is classic! Maybe a spice cabinet.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Lucas said:
Breezie said:
Lucas said:
Breezie's is a William and Mary teardrop drawer pull back plate.

Lucas, it looks llike one, but I don't think it is. The whole piece is not but about an inch wide. It would have to be for William & Mary Midget. LOL :laughing7: Breezie

Small drawers. :tongue3:

I have no doubts about what it is. The stamped decoration is classic! Maybe a spice cabinet.
Yep...definitely escutcheon plate from furniture :read2:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Silver Searcher said:
Lucas said:
Breezie said:
Lucas said:
Breezie's is a William and Mary teardrop drawer pull back plate.

Lucas, it looks llike one, but I don't think it is. The whole piece is not but about an inch wide. It would have to be for William & Mary Midget. LOL :laughing7: Breezie

Small drawers. :tongue3:

I have no doubts about what it is. The stamped decoration is classic! Maybe a spice cabinet.
Yep...definitely escutcheon plate from furniture :read2:

SS

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Ok...we may have figured out Breezies...but let's get back to mine?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Hello Romeo-1, SkyPilot here.
Does your find have the same dimensions as Breezie's?
If so, it's quite possibly the same thing.
Any way we can get a close up?

Regards, SkyPilot
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Thanks Gang for the ID. I looked at it this afternoon, and I do agree about it being a back plate for a pull for a very small chest or cabinet.

Now, as Romeo said, let's get back to his. I'd like to see some more pics of it, plus the dimensions.

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

skypilot02 said:
Hello Romeo-1, SkyPilot here.
Does your find have the same dimensions as Breezie's?
If so, it's quite possibly the same thing.
Any way we can get a close up?

Regards, SkyPilot

Hey Sky, we were posting at the same time, and thinking the same thing. Nice car you have there in your avartar; what is it?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Hi Breezie :hello:!
Thank you very much!!!
It's a 1961 Ford Galaxie Starliner. (I've always wondered why Ford chose to spell Galaxy incorrectly :icon_scratch:)
My third car was one of these in fact. I've owned nearly a dozen since then, but they are getting very hard to come by!!

As for posting at the same time, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike!!!

Warmest regards, Richard aka SkyPilot
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

Thanks SkyPilot and Breezie. Here is an added picture. It is thin pressed brass and is approximately 2.5 inches at the widest points. I have found these at several different sites so I am thinking that they may be a building material (masonry?) or the like. I also know of these being found in several homesites across eastern Canada.

I have posted these before and a detecting friend of mine was under the impression that they are funerary related...possible casket labels?

No idea and I have never seen a picture in actual use.
 

Attachments

  • whatsit 001.webp
    whatsit 001.webp
    62.9 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

They remind me a lot of steamer trunk hardware, but those are usually corners, etc. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Also a lot like furniture maker's plates, but those are usually stamped with the name etc. I think 1860-1920 for a date range... :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hey Breezie...what's this?

After seeing a closer pic, and knowing it is brass, I'm leaning toward an antique casket/coffin plate. The ones in the pic below are more fancy and engraved, but there were those that were not as ornate. As far as lacking engraving is concerned, you may have found a scattered cache of unused ones from a funeral home or 'under taker' as we say down South.

Breezie
 

Attachments

  • coffin_plates.webp
    coffin_plates.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 231
  • martha_manly_coffin_plate.webp
    martha_manly_coffin_plate.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom