Hi guys

tokat

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2010
Well, I have been lurking here for a number of years, and have finally decided to register. I really love this site.
Due to my recent retirement I will at last have the time to devote myself to my favorite hobby. My journey started back in the 70's with a homebuilt Heathkit detector, and has progressed from there.
Two places I have always wanted to go, are Alaska for the gold, and OBX for a shot at some older coins. Alaska is still down the road aways, but my daughter has moved to NC in the Fayetville area. Two years ago we met them in the OBX in the town of Frisco for a one week stay, and I thought I would finally get my chance. As I am sure you all know, that part of the banks is off limits. Guess I should have done a little more research. So, I found out that surf fishing is kinda fun also, but it is not much of a replacement.
Now that I have the time (and I know the restrictions ), I am taking a trip to see my new Granddaughter. I can only swing a 2 day visit for detecting. This leads me to my questions. If I only have 2 days to hunt, what beaches would give me the best chance at an older coin? I was thinking about the area north of Corolla, but this is just a guess based on what I have read in various places. I know what my odds are of finding anything good as I have been in the hobby awhile. I guess I am just trying to up those odds as much as possible.
I will be there the 17th and 18th of march. I can't pick my weather, so I don't know what the cuts will be like. All in all, I plan to enjoy myself as much as possible no matter what the conditions. First time in the ocean, but I know about the tides. This will have to be a wet sand trip, as I am sure it will be on the cold side.
Any help you can give me is appreciated, I'm not looking for your best spot, just a general area to pound. Thanks in advance.....................Chuck

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I can't help with your questions but wanted to say:

Welcome to T-Net tokat.

beep-beep

Jan 14, 2010
North Carolina , Bertie
Detector(s) used
BH-Quick Silver,Ace 250,BH pinpointer and the DetectorPRO Pistol PROBE
I am two hours from the beach and have been thinking about going also. I think you can go from Nags Head beach to the Va. Line. Quick search came up with this, something could wash up. Let us know what you find.
Nags Head Area
HURON- a 541 ton federal gunship steamer with sail. Went down with 98 crewmen on November 24, 1877, 150 yards offshore @20 feet of water.

EXPLORER - Tugboat. Lost on December 12, 1919. Milepost 11, just 100 yards north of Huron. 150 yards offshore, @20 feet of water.

CARL GERHARD - The Triangle Wrecks - a freighter carrying plasterboard. Lost in September 1927. Ran into the Kyzickes and broke in two. Mile post 7, 2nd street parking area, Kill Devil Hills, @200 yards offshore @20 feet of water. This is our most popular dive.

KYZICKES - The Triangle Wrecks - a tanker carrying oil. Cut in two when it was rammed by the Carl Gerhard. 4 crewman lost. Milepost 7, 2nd street, Kill Devil Hills @20 feet of water.

OP
OP
T

tokat

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the welcome Diggin The Past. Sounds like there is some potential in that area, I sure wish I lived that close Beep Beep. Since the DNR(department of no results) shut down all our water hunting in my state, I guess I will be forced to travel from now on. I surely will post my results here when I get back. Thanks for your reply................Chuck

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Like DigginThe Past I can't help with any of your questions but wanted to welcome you to Tnet. I hope you get a chance to get out and find some good stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread