Hidden cabin hunt

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No work today so I headed up to an old miners cabin in the middle of nowhere.this cabin was in use serving a mine way up on a very steep drainage about halfway up the side of a very steep hillside before the turn of the century.there is nothing left of this cabin except the rotten floor.there is also a few flat spots around near it which indicates there where some smaller structures plus out house holes.
I've know about this place for years and have been there poking around a few times while digging out this tunnel nearby.today I finally got to mess around with a metal detector.
I started by digging inside the cabin floor by pulling away the rotten wood that use to be floors and were covered with a120 years of forest floor.nails and trash were everywhere but I still managed to find a few things inside.didnt get hardly any area worked under the old floors but this is where I found my first silver a 1891 s seated liberty.i also found the rifle shell in there to.theres still a bunch of the cabin are to work I didn't have all day for that because I wanted to look around at the other spots too.
In all I left a lot there to do still but with finding the silver I'm guessing I didn't find the only one.so in the pictures is the dime a rifle cartridge and a shotgun shell bottom .a partial spoon and an old ax head.
The rifle shell says wra co. 38 56 wcf
Shotgun shell is a umc co. No. 12 club (not a new club)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 145
Upvote 13

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow......that seated is in remarkable condition!!! Keep huntin' that spot!!!!

OP
OP
D

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow......that seated is in remarkable condition!!! Keep huntin' that spot!!!!
Does anyone think that by pulling up the old floor boards that have now become part of the ground I may also pick up any coins that may have been stuck in between or had fell through to the ground and may be stuck to the wood.im basically raking down to dirt and removing the rotted wood.im still finding a lot of nails in the dirt but have noticed nails in the garbage I'm taking out

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone think that by pulling up the old floor boards that have now become part of the ground I may also pick up any coins that may have been stuck in between or had fell through to the ground and may be stuck to the wood.im basically raking down to dirt and removing the rotted wood.im still finding a lot of nails in the dirt but have noticed nails in the garbage I'm taking out

Definitely.......set aside the larger pieces of wood for later inspection and use a screen (not too fine) to sift through the disintegrating wood and dirt.............pile the sifted material on an area that you have already detected.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice seated!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice seated,, Congrats
Sifting everything that comes out from under that wooden flooring seems to be the way to go.
Good luck

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet one to get for a first silver. Congrats!

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver !! When you score a find like that it makes you forget all about the steep hike in !!

OP
OP
D

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind the the steep hike in I have always preferred walking up the mountains then coming down them anyway.so maybe I will make a sifter and hall it up with me and work sections at a time.sift then detect what's left over in that section then move to the next section over.i couldn't have found every coin yet.plus there will some artifacts I'm sure

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is a beautiful coin!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found my share of old coins, but have yet to find my first seated anything! Nice work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions