Hiding objects

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Craft hauling cattle away from Florida, and who knows what into Florida were well established.
Too the South was no stranger to lands farther South . Something I never considered or learned in school, that potential for colonies or at least trade partners and allies.
All by ship. No strange method with France, England, China and other countries visited frequently at one time.
Cuba just a hop skip and a jump between meals.
Marion-Dunn Freemason Lodge #19(Ocala) was founded January 10, 1849.
Three links =F.T.L.. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/kgc/388435-csa-kgc-oak-florida.html
That is correct, and Ocala became a town in 1846, with mostly settlers from South Carolina, like the branch of the Abbeville ,SC Marshall family ( it was at the Marshall's Abbeville WHITEHALL PLANTATION where Davis, Benjamin, Breckinridge, Wood stayed before their final flight to Florida).
The Seminole War fort, FORT KING, was Marion county's first court house (Wood's grandfather, US President was a commandant at FORT KING, and Braxton Bragg served there)(Wood's uncle was CSA President Jefferson Davis)
Marion county was a supplier to the Confederacy, refurbished firearms, forged cannons, with salt pork, grits, sugar,whiskey, leather hides, and spider webs used for wound bandages.( Florida does have more than its share of spiders)
Silver Springs served as a landing and depot for the river blockade runners, the property then owned by CSA Capt of the Home Guard, Edmund Davis Howse, a Freemason and KGC member.
While most of Florida's port cities were occupied by the Union, Marion county was left alone until March 10, 1865, when the Union 3rd Colored Infantry raided, looted ,and burned Marshall's plantation and Holley's grist mill and farm, but most was recovered by CSA Capt Dickinson during a chase through the forest all the way back to Union Fort Marion in St Augustine.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no authority on the Confederacy.
That said there is a possibility that after time and noticing his efforts to keep movement closely guarded to avoid spies and deserters being interrogated, that Stonewall's not telling anyone of his intended objectives or sometimes convoluted path of arrival, eventually caught on with others. Based on the success of his results.
Often in research authentic verification of written communication is sought. Little may have existed on some topics, even before some records were destroyed.
In movements near wars end it is very likely few knew of who and what went where before it happened.
Where less important when fleeing/moving, wealth was moved also.
A plan before the end of the war for what was to become of specie or wealth or resources as well as a network of people to move people or anything else would necessarily be closely secreted too; regardless of why movement or locations of stored resources were chosen.
Loose lips theory.

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the problem being a Johnny come lately. I think that i have run across something new but in fact someone has already covered and covered very well. I keep reading and researching thinking sooner than later I will find that magic key to help me and everyone else on there quest.

ECS and releventchair I thank you for adding to my knowledge on this subject.

L.C. I can hear the inflection in your writing. After all I have read your book four times. I know your style. That and you are a fellow Iowan. It takes one to know one. Lols.

You guys are great and enjoy this site more than the other four sites I post on. Two pipe smoking and two fishing forums. Very few harsh words or back bitting. Fight that all the time on two of the other forums.

Senior Deacon

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
TIMEOUT FOR A SOAPBOX MOMENT-MY OPINION, I COULD BE WRONG

I'm no authority on the Confederacy...
Much of what occurred in Florida during the War of Northern Aggression is neglected in history books, maybe because the Union waged war on the civilian populace, including women and children.
For the last month in Ocala/Marion county there have been protests over a flag display of flags that have flown over Florida, all lower than the STARS & STRIPES- Spanish, French, British and the Confederate 3rd National flag. The Ocala Star Banner has been bombarded with pro and con letters about this one flag. Those on both sides of this "flag" issue have No knowledge of what occurred in Marion county during that War. Yes, once a year, there is an Oklawaha River Raid reenactment that has NOTHING to do with the actual March 10, 1865 event-just the typical North/South shooting at each other with obligatory horses and a cannon or two.
That flag represents a small 4 1/2 year of Florida history, it is not an endorsement of slavery, but represents those that gave all for their country, whether right or wrong, it was the South that was invaded by the North.
Remember, if we forget our historical roots, or attempt to wipe them clean with political correctness, we all may be forced to relive it.
Right or wrong, good or bad, it is a part of all of our United States of America heritage.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
At risk of wandering off topic...and I do easily.
Events following WW2 after the surrender of the Germans and subsequent torture, killing, starving, and slavery and other treatments administered to prisoners and after the fact captives without a Geneva code adhered to(no war no code right?) by the Allies are not mentioned in school either.
The adage that history is written by the victors does not highlight the parts hidden after a war, beyond formal reconstruction policies it seems...
Flags below the stars and stripes are welcomed by me. Not as an act on my part of dominance beyond national, but of formal procedure in the U.S..I even know a couple other historic ones I like but don't own for some reason. A large one being a small flag pole..
I recognize though, through my limited research, no flag as representing a true "slave" or "slavery" flag used to indicate such a state of being as it's sole purpose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flag that the political correct crowd is so upset with is the battle flag of the army of Northern Virginia. There were three confederate flags. The one that is remembered is the flag that Robert E. Lee road into battle with. It was his battle flag not the army of Northern Virginia flag nor the confederate flag. As far as I am concerned it only shows how little the smartest people in the political correct crowd are. There is a e-mail going around that shows a black outlined map that ask "Can you find Zimbabwe" the problem is it is a map of South America. Most people don't even know it's a map of South America and not Africa.

People that don't learn from the past are bound to make the same mistakes in the future. We my friends are ahead of that curve. We have studied the past. We will be the last to repeat history.

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Much of what occurred in Florida during the War of Northern Aggression is neglected in history books, maybe because the Union waged war on the civilian populace, including women and children.
For the last month in Ocala/Marion county there have been protests over a flag display of flags that have flown over Florida, all lower than the STARS & STRIPES- Spanish, French, British and the Confederate 3rd National flag. The Ocala Star Banner has been bombarded with pro and con letters about this one flag. Those on both sides of this "flag" issue have No knowledge of what occurred in Marion county during that War. Yes, once a year, there is an Oklawaha River Raid reenactment that has NOTHING to do with the actual March 10, 1865 event-just the typical North/South shooting at each other with obligatory horses and a cannon or two.
That flag represents a small 4 1/2 year of Florida history, it is not an endorsement of slavery, but represents those that gave all for their country, whether right or wrong, it was the South that was invaded by the North.
Remember, if we forget our historical roots, or attempt to wipe them clean with political correctness, we all may be forced to relive it.
Right or wrong, good or bad, it is a part of all of our United States of America heritage.
AND! It was ALL, a STATE RIGHTS "thing"... SOME ppl just don't understand!

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under the subject of hidden objects. As I was starting to do some research I came across this little gem. Mystery of missing Civil War submarines resurfaces

Wanted to put it some where an this is as good as it gets as it has been hid for 151 years. Will do more R & I on this for sure. Subs of the South in my backyard ain't that a sandwich for you. There is one very interesting sentence I am wondering if anyone else picked up on it? Tell me if you can.

Senior Deacon

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senior Deacon.......In keeping with the theme of things here, the answer to your question is possibly this sentence: " Five submarines were built, with one sent to the Houston/Galveston area in Texas, and lost in transit."....:dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
They were known as REBEL SUBMERSIBLES or something like that; H.L. Hunley was one... CSS H.L. Hunley.

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the story of the CSS Huntley. Of all places Shreveport, Louisiana would be the shipyard that they were built at. It blows my mine. I have been around that place several times fishing. The big catfish will go up these small bayous to spawn out. The Red River has some truly big cats. I can go from Caddo lake down the 12 mile Bayou to the Red River. It is as far to go there as it is to go up river to 43 bridge on the Texas side. I buy a Louisiana license as well as a Texas license every year just so I can take some giant catfish. Also good fishing for some big fat slab crappie. Louisiana sells itself as sportsmans paradise. Believe me it is best duck hunting and fishing I have had any where. Wood Ducks and canvas backs are so plentiful that even a average shot like me can bag a limit. I can take a limit of Dove during the season out my back door with just a pellet gun.

Sorry to get off topic but I never knew that there was a CSA naval yard in Shreveport. It May be a more a important place then I have it credit for.

Senior Deacon

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Under the subject of hidden objects. As I was starting to do some research I came across this little gem. Mystery of missing Civil War submarines resurfaces

Wanted to put it some where an this is as good as it gets as it has been hid for 151 years. Will do more R & I on this for sure. Subs of the South in my backyard ain't that a sandwich for you. There is one very interesting sentence I am wondering if anyone else picked up on it? Tell me if you can.

Senior Deacon

Only sentence that stood out to me included "lost in transit".(Agreeing with AlbrtaClipper.)
Reads like some serious catfishing you've gotten into.
Crappie (called "specs" in my youth) remain a favorite eater ,though a world apart from a slimy line from a catfish, or the thump.
We have flatheads and channel cats. Big to me is ten pound and above. A ten is serious to me.
State record flathead is 52 pounds..that's a submarine!
Appears I've been slackin....

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now just came upon this site. Shreveport's Civil War Defenses. It tells the story of the defenses around Shreveport. I have been to Overton Brooks medical center ( the VA medical center ) several time to take my neighbor. I never knew I was standing on almost hallowed ground in the War of Northern Aggression. The bayou is north of that location. No wonder they were able to build submersibles the Naval Yard was Three to five miles north of their defence line. Fun kind of stuff.

Senior Deacon

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Man this PC bit about flags has gotten so far out of hand it's crazy. I read in the paper a couple of days ago, a Congressman is trying to get a bill going.
He wants the Stars and Bars banned from the reenactment battle at Gettysburg...

Dear Lord, what's next?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions