Hints for new relic hunter with limited time?

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
Hi all,
Long time since I have been here. Long story, not important.

Anyway, I have been researching the history of Mercer County, Illinois and think I have located several old grist mills, abandoned in the late 1800's. They are on private property and I am asking for permission to investigate.

Likely there is little left but perhaps some rubble and stonework still in the nearby streams. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for or how to proceed?

Unfortunately there is a time constraint - I live in Las Vegas and I only have about 1 week to investigate these sites. Plus, there are some old abandoned railroad beds and bridges I would like to see. Add to that some time with the family, and my week will be busy.

Oh, on a side note, I went investigating a few old abandoned desert roads south west of Las Vegas a few weeks ago and thought about bringing a metal detector along next time & make a day of it. The roads are all on BLM land and have not been used since the very early 1900's. Then I was researching the detecting laws in NV. They seem pretty onerous. They way I make it out, if I remove a rock from a road that could be "historic", I could run afoul of the law???

Happy hunting, all.
-Ken in Las Vegas.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I would hunt the road leading to the mill. Farmers came in with wagons of grain and left with pockets of money. Maybe they dropped a few coins on the way home.

Detecting laws in Virginia are like NV. TECHNICALLY, I'm not allowed to pick up a cigarette butt in a park without committing a class 1 misdemeanor. REALISTICALLY, local cops I talked to say they doubt anyone would get arrested (especially the first time) for hunting in county parks unless someone made a big stink about it.

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread