What's new

Hispania Silver and Thanksgiving me the Gold!!!

surfnturf

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2010
Messages
1,449
Reaction score
3,342
Golden Thread
2
Location
Gray Lady
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
X/CAL,DEUS Il….
Stealth 720i hybrd extreme Knox 900 Fisher AQ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanksgiving week hunts in the low low tide cut!!! I Love my first 1724 Spanish 2 Reales!!!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

SnT
 

Attachments

  • o1.webp
    o1.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,173
  • o2.webp
    o2.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,181
  • o3.webp
    o3.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,206
  • o4.webp
    o4.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • o5.webp
    o5.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,268
  • o6.webp
    o6.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,299
  • o7.webp
    o7.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,312
  • o9.webp
    o9.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,301
  • o10.webp
    o10.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,298
  • o11.webp
    o11.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,319
Upvote 0
SoreKneesDayton said:
Great rings and cool Reale. Are those all Boston area finds?


SKD,
Thanks! Yes all finds were wet sand and water finds at the same spot in Mass!!

SnT
 
Mackaydon said:
Looking forward to seeing what that 'black' coin looks like after you clean it up.


Don,
The black coin is the 2 Reales!! Found in the water at chest deep! Had a good feeling about the coin cause I could just make out the shield or it was my imagination wanting to see it!! Some might cringe but I had to find out what it is, soooo in the electrolysis it went 2 Min's. then washed with water and I knew I had a reales!!! 1 more min in and then cleaned with dish soap and toothbrush!!!

Thanks again for the proper ID! Love learning the history!!

Snt
 
Don,
The black coin is the 2 Reales!! Found in the water at chest deep! Had a good feeling about the coin cause I could just make out the shield or it was my imagination wanting to see it!! Some might cringe but I had to find out what it is, soooo in the electrolysis it went 2 Min's. then washed with water and I knew I had a reales!!! 1 more min in and then cleaned with dish soap and toothbrush!!!

Thanks again for the proper ID! Love learning the history!!

Snt
[/quote]

I have had difficulty getting your kind of results cleaning crusty silver using electrolysis, or any other method for that matter. That was a real crusty coin. What do you use as your electrolyte in the water when you do electrolysis? I have a stainless steel anode and use washing soda as the electrolyte with a very low amp 7 volt power source....... Beautiful finds by the way. HH, Ralph
 
For those real 'crusties', I place baking soda on a patch of tin foil, place the coin on top and fold up the foil (loosely) around the coin-then submerge in distilled water. Watch it 'boil' and check periodically. The coin may, eventually, come out to be a 'razor' (thin), but at least I can then ID it. No doubt some here will cringe.
 
Ralph,
Thanks, I use an old cell phone charger (1A output)! Alligator clips stainless steel spoons, knifes ones I have found hunting!
My solution mix is roughly 1/2 lemon squeezed juice and 4 table spoons salt into 1/2 gallon water! Depending on the ticket I will finish with a jewelers silver cleaning cloth(5$). When electrolyzing make sure the ticket is cover with solution and it starts to bubble with in 20 to 40 sec., when it bubbles it's working! Depending on the ticket, I'll let it cook for 3 to 6 Min's. and or repeat if necessary!!

Good luck hope this helps....... SnT

P.S. always unplug power when handling with H2O!!!!!! :o
 
I too use a cell phone charger for my power supply. Cost me $1 at a Habitat for Humanity store. I know salt is an effective electrolyte, but I thought that was what you were trying to get out of the silver coin.... Lemon juice is acid so I guess that works too. I will have to try the salt/lemon juice combo on one of my highly tarnished silver items and see how it works. Thanks for sharing. Ralph
 
gotta love the gold but that 2 reale is beautiful ....a reale is on my wish list I dont care which one ;D wtg :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom