Historical piece Found At Thrift Store

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say good to be back. I have been dealing with cancer issues and finally am able to be up and rolling again, lol. I found a item that is a pretty historical piece. I am trying to find any kind of value, and information or anything on this. An thought I would share it in hopes those on the board or those who know someone who can help me with this. what I found was a Sir Joseph Hooker collectible item. This is a hand carved and numbered wood box from the historical Hooker oak tree from Chico California. This tree was named after him because he loved the tree as when he visited he would go see the tree. This piece I found at the thrift store and inside was a paper. The paper in details lets you know that back in 1977 this historical landmark fell during a storm and it laid there for 3 years until the city commissioned Cal Oak Lumber to remove and reclaim sound portions of the tree at Cal Oak's Oroville hardwood plant. They were allowed to retain some of the wood as compensation. After milling the oak, Cal Oak arranged for the lumber to be dried at the University of California's Forest Products Laboratory.

Cal Oak set up a program using local artisans as well as the work training centers for the handicapped to produce a limited number of artistically designed items from its share of the tree. Many of these were given to various institutions, which included the Royal Botanical Gardens in London, the Butte County Historical Society, Bidwell Mansion, Sacramento Valley Museum, Butte College, California State University, Chico, and the University of California at Berkeley. The Royal Botanical Gardens also received acorns from the original tree in 1981 and planted them in their gardens. I found one of these pieces. Each piece lid and bottom has a unique number. Has the logo on top etc. I guess I am needing any thoughts on if there is a market for this type of rare historical item and just thoughts. Thanks.
DSC07116.JPG DSC07118.JPG DSC07117.JPG DSC07119.JPG DSC07120.JPG

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. I would think people directly involved or from that area would be more interested in it for historical value but the aesthetic value would go for anyone.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I suspect this is probably a similar situation to a piece I have. I've got a paperweight that was commissioned by the 3M company to commemorate their bicentennial TV series "From Sea to Shining Sea". Doesn't look all that unusual but was made from clay collected from all 50 states, is numbered, is connected to the Bicentennial, a TV series, Alfred University, etc. Priced at $29 it hasn't sold over the last several months. IMO it has historical value there just isn't any demand for it. At least your box looks cool & has aesthetic value.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to get out. I tell myself its good for my mental health. But I'm not sure if it is not just an excuse to hunt for things to buy.

I really like it. . I just searched worthpoint for joseph hooker prices and they are all over the place. The most expensive being prints from books pre 1900 going for around $400. Many items were much much less. But not too many items listed at all. Hard to say.

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting piece well found

OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all very much for taking the time to look at my post and giving your thoughts.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I've never herd of the Hooker Oak tree until now. After reading some about this thousand year old magical tree :crybaby2: it then made me now want the box you have. I believe this box would have a unique interest and value to a few select buyers out there and its hard to say for sure how much it would be worth to some folks? You know there could only be a very limited amount of pieces made from the tree out there and that makes it hard for anyone out there wishing they had a piece from the Hooker Oak to find. I think that's a neat find and I'm happy to see you can get out and get your mind working against the circumstances your going through and finding those treasures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread