Found this painting at thrift store

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving with friends and family. I found this painting at a thrift store, awhile back. I remember they Just brought it out with a few more pieces. But this one caught my eye. I debated on paying 9.99 for it. But pulled the trigger. Someone put it in pretty much in a generic looking frame. Which makes sense, as if you like a piece you frame it without knowing anything about it. So got home and noticed a signature where the frame was covering it. The painting is an abstract type piece. The name is Max Weber. So further inspection found he was one of the first Cubist abstract painters. I did a lens search just to see if it may be a copy of something he had painted and nothing. Then checked signature. He has so many signatures he used. But did find one that is pretty close. Im not putting all my eggs in one basket thinking it is real. But would be cool if it is. Need lots more research. But first 2 pictures is the painting. Last is a signature from one of his paintings that resembles the one I got.

Attachments

• IMG_6917.jpeg
    IMG_6917.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6918.jpeg
    IMG_6918.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6912.png
    IMG_6912.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 91
I've not heard of this artist before, but I'm not so inclined to search for valuables in art at a thrift store. I can only say it does look like what you found might well be worth looking more into. Could be you did find a treasure in art at a thrift store. It has happened to others.

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving with friends and family. I found this painting at a thrift store, awhile back. I remember they Just brought it out with a few more pieces. But this one caught my eye. I debated on paying 9.99 for it. But pulled the trigger. Someone put it in pretty much in a generic looking frame. Which makes sense, as if you like a piece you frame it without knowing anything about it. So got home and noticed a signature where the frame was covering it. The painting is an abstract type piece. The name is Max Weber. So further inspection found he was one of the first Cubist abstract painters. I did a lens search just to see if it may be a copy of something he had painted and nothing. Then checked signature. He has so many signatures he used. But did find one that is pretty close. Im not putting all my eggs in one basket thinking it is real. But would be cool if it is. Need lots more research. But first 2 pictures is the painting. Last is a signature from one of his paintings that resembles the one I got.
is it possible to get a few non glare photos of the actual brush strokes on the painting?

Though finding a piece done by an artist that commands a high hammer price at auctions is a rarity, though it does happen.
There has been a few lottery type purchases at yard sales and such.

One I know of was a antique store on Queen street.(Toronto)
He had a newspaper article in a frame by the door, I read it and realized it was him in the article.

Coles notes:
Lady bought painting at a sale (50 cents-very low price) Sold the painting to him for $1200.00
He flipped it to a dealer in Ca. for $14,000.00
That dealer put it up for auction and it sold for $1,000,000.00 dollars.

I was impressed and said wow do you regret selling that so cheap?
"I never worry about-nor begrudge what another person makes off of my sale.
I will never make this type of profit off a single sale in my life again so I am very happy"

He went on to tell me the woman was trying to sue him and the gallery in Ca. for more money. Simple greediness it was, she was delighted that she turned such a profit-but that turned sour when the true value was known.

Best of luck on the works I hope it turns out to be the real thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back